Project Two Forks - Updated

looking at those two sets, the first seems to be the right colour but too short, and the second set look a bit cheap it terms of their finish...

OrangeRetro":1mpt6k0r said:
looking at those two sets, the first seems to be the right colour but too short, and the second set look a bit cheap it terms of their finish...

Not sure if you mean too short a-c or steerer, but the a-c looks like 41cm to me (but you could get him to check it) and the steerer is said to be 20cm, which was the length that Kona cut them to for the size 17 and 18 frames with 11cm head tubes.

scant":39323qgy said:
the modern, cheaper, non butted 1s also weigh 300g more than advertised :shock:
I know of some early 90s 1 1/8 threaded if you're interested..

Hello, I have PM you

Agree - the first one looks correct.

It won't be earlier than 96 with those decals (1995 had full length "PROJECT TWO" decals down the legs.)

So it won't be shorter than 410mm A-C, no matter what it looke like in the photo.

It's not too recent, as 1998 forks still had that older KONA typeface and multi-coloured decals instead of the later single-coloured ones.

Anthony":3hs9gppf said:
The example in the picture came off my 97 Kilauea

I'm sure I've said it before, but that's a great looking bike. It'd look even better with '94 style Kona logos on it IMHO of course ;-)

Lovely colour of green...

ajm":nao4jmw1 said:
Anthony":nao4jmw1 said:
The example in the picture came off my 97 Kilauea

I'm sure I've said it before, but that's a great looking bike. It'd look even better with '94 style Kona logos on it IMHO of course ;-)

Lovely colour of green...

Thanks ajm, but IMO the Kona designers chose the right green to go with the yellow 97 decals. I think they went to some trouble to get their colour co-ordinations right – and that’s why the colour of those P2s is just right for all of the 97 frames.

I know lots of people like the 94 decals, but I personally find the dull colours and square shapes too conservative to fit with a Hawaiian vibe, whereas the 97 and 98 decals are perfectly Hawaiian and that’s why they’re just right for a Kona.

So by way of an update - heres what i have so far, £5 off ebay plus a crazy £2 postage :shock: .. :D :D :D

Ok they are slightly more modern then 97 but I do intend to refinish them in the approriate grey with 97 decals.

I reckon that they are triple butted as they are mark TB on the steerer.

I've attached some pics - Am I right in thinking the TB means triple butted?

Attachments

• ForksDetail.jpg
    ForksDetail.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 872
  • Forks.jpg
    Forks.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 873
OrangeRetro":2ng0zhww said:
So by way of an update - heres what i have so far, £5 off ebay plus a crazy £2 postage :shock: .. :D :D :D

Ok they are slightly more modern then 97 but I do intend to refinish them in the approriate grey with 97 decals.

I reckon that they are triple butted as they are mark TB on the steerer.

I've attached some pics - Am I right in thinking the TB means triple butted?
I have some some 98 plain gauge ones here that look identical to that but are stamped CM/CM, so CM/TB sounds quite promising. The weight is the infallible indicator though.

Back