Preview! Preorders!! Redesign Rocky Mountain tilted seat clamp.

Here’s a comment by someone who seems to know very well many projects that went on at Rocky Mountain back in the days…

For real, I often see Gwyneth MacKenzie being very generous of her time on the Vintage Canadian Mtb fb group page.

I posted the link of this thread there and she saw it.

I think your project was / is on the right track @Fatboy1974. Hope you’ll give it a go !

Attachments

• IMG_8967.jpeg
    IMG_8967.jpeg
    28.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Just a thought - how much more expensive would it be to have the clamp machined from Grade 5 titanium? It would be significantly more fatigue resistant, so perhaps the original design could be copied?

Here’s a comment by someone who seems to know very well many projects that went on at Rocky Mountain back in the days…

For real, I often see Gwyneth MacKenzie being very generous of her time on the Vintage Canadian Mtb fb group page.

I posted the link of this thread there and she saw it.

I think your project was / is on the right track @Fatboy1974. Hope you’ll give it a go !
Nice contribution ! Appreciated! Yes, ill give it a go. Early next week!

Just a thought - how much more expensive would it be to have the clamp machined from Grade 5 titanium? It would be significantly more fatigue resistant, so perhaps the original design could be copied?
I think that the key here is rhat cnc 6061T6 is strong enough. Cast it was not. Alu is already "expensive", and machining Ti requires better tools, its hard to work with Ti. Maybe we go to 30-35 $. I think that fatigue was not the problem in my case. It broke after 50 km. Its max yield who matters. Ill keep alu but goid contribution.

6061T6 or Ti or Beskar, this is the way
I think beskar will be hard to find.
The best is 7075T6 but it's harder to machine and more expensive, so compromise one is 6061T6. Same for Ti, maybe it would be better, but strenght/price is a lot lower. 7075T6 is ued when you want extreme lightness or very refined pieces. I did seatclamps half the weight in 7075T6, but long series.but here, that we are not removing material 6061T6 is more than enough. I did this one 10 years ago in 7075T6 and it works. Imagine then when it's solid. ( yes, it's not tilted)

1692521905062.jpeg

Back