poxy punctures

Captain Stupido

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Why can't I just leave stuff alone...? :facepalm:

Had the bright idea to swap around some tyres around at the weekend during a quiet moment. Swapped a Panaracer Fire from the back to the front of the Clockwork, and fitted an IRC Mythos on the back.

Looked good and I was looking forward to trying the combo out.

Today I thought I'd just check they were both holding air OK. Both totally flat. :cry:

On closer investigation the inner tubes have both developed air leaks on the valve, where the brass joins the rubber. Tubes will have to go in the bin.

Tubes are Vittoria Ultralites, relatively new, but they seemed to be OK with the previous tyre setup.

The combination of narrowish, deepish rims and the design of the tubes, and everything else means that the valves have a tendency to sit well above the bead of the tyre - not against the rim, and the valves don't stick out that far... I'm assuming they've been damaged by the sharpish edge of rim's valve hole. Bit weird though. New to me.

The question is: how do I avoid this happening again?

Attachments

• B946C81A-C00A-4A9E-B92E-B116D3D6849A.jpeg
    B946C81A-C00A-4A9E-B92E-B116D3D6849A.jpeg
    61.3 KB · Views: 587
  • C597CBA5-9255-4055-94D0-616D771EC34E.jpeg
    C597CBA5-9255-4055-94D0-616D771EC34E.jpeg
    177 KB · Views: 587
  • F084C347-4DEB-4067-99A2-90015A74CF29.jpeg
    F084C347-4DEB-4067-99A2-90015A74CF29.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 587
Would the narrower Presta style valve have less contact?

Peachy!":vp81pr6h said:
Would the narrower Presta style valve have less contact?

Yeah it would - but then you’d need to buy these to stop the tube following the value into the rim

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Halo-Rim-Hole- ... DIQAvD_BwE

I can’t abide Shredder valves but sometime have no choice on the rim available and trust me without the widget they distroy Presta tubes on the first bump of a ride

Also can’t stand

black wall tyres

Patina ......it’s not romantic- It’s just someone else’s dirt or neglect

Brown saddles

Charge Splashbacks

And especially Brookes saddles

They are all plain wrong ..... and I’m grumpy old man

Re:

You'd be fine with Presta valves, they tend to come with a shamfered lock ring that will seat the valve in the larger hole so it doesn't touch the sides.

Yeah your right but it’s the other side (the inside if the rim) that I’ve found to be the problem

The lock ring does stop the lateral movement but the air in the tube forces the unsupported rubber around the valve down the enlarged hole and then due to the deformation the tube splits around the base of the valve stem.

This is what you’ll end up with and a long walk home

Attachments

• 26053897-4524-4FC0-B7DF-B0CC36A2C85E.png
    26053897-4524-4FC0-B7DF-B0CC36A2C85E.png
    131.7 KB · Views: 527
Re:

Never had that problem. Maybe cut q patch from a donor tube and slot it over the valve before putting it in the hole?

Re:

Thanks guys!

Retro Spud":1jxwou6h said:
Also can’t stand

black wall tyres

Patina ......it’s not romantic- It’s just someone else’s dirt or neglect

Brown saddles

Charge Splashbacks

And especially Brookes saddles

They are all plain wrong ..... and I’m grumpy old man

Haha...

Black wall tyres are OK. On a bike that gets ridden in anger (and especially in the wet) amber walls get grubby in no time and look horrible. Plus my memory of the late 80s is that amber walls were starting to become uncool already! Fashion...whatever... There is room for tyres of all colours in my stable. I like both.

Patina... the word? To me tired original paint and decals are a lot better than a crap respray... and shiny bikes get scratched in no time if you use them. I like shiny bikes too. :|

Brown saddles... because in the olden days everything was brown. Except it wasn't. It was black and white.

...But brooks saddles are brilliant. There's a champion flyer on my tandem. In black. It's the comfiest seat in my house!

I agree with you on charge splashbacks. I've got the injuries to prove how crap they are.

;)

I think I've got some presta tubes somewhere.

Have ordered some of those adapters and a couple of spare presta tubes with longer valves.

Having realised that I've had the same issue with 3 of these tubes now I'm starting to think that maybe what we have here is mainly a case of sh*t inner tubes. There's no visible sign of damage and they have not had rough treatment (or even been ridden).

I've emailed Planet X (the supplier) to see if it's something they're aware of. Not holding out much hope, but you never know.

The good: planet X sent a refund for 3 faulty tubes.

The bad: another one just failed (same fault). 4 in total now so I'm confident they are faulty and it's not just me.

The ugly: I still have a few more to use up... not sure whether to risk it or just chuck them - it's all getting a bit boring...but I hate throwing stuff away... I'll give them one last chance!

Back