Power Grips discussion

setspeed

Retro Guru
Power Grips. Who has them and are they worth the £42 it'll cost me for an XL set? I want to put them on the bike that spends 95% of its time on the road, so I can get some of that spinning cadence going. I don't want normal toeclips, nor do I want to fw SPDs/cleats. Currently running flats. Screenshot_20220816-083845__01.jpg

I used them back in the day all the time (until spd) but then used them partly on another bike.
I liked them, rough up your shoes a bit over time. Have a similar twist to get out like spd. Did the job really well.
Not used these release (been out again for quite a few year now).

I was thinking about them for a commuter, but didn't travel far and I can ride on spd pedals with normal shoes anyway.

I had some on a Team Marin I bought, they were very old and tatty looking but I liked them so much I transferred them to my daily rider. They did eventually fall apart but I still like them so much I bought a new pair.

In my opinion they are better than traditional clips, the only drawback that I found was you have to wear similar shaped shoes every time you ride the bike, the one time I tried to wear my work boots my feet wouldn't fit and they were only marginally chunkier than my usual trainers.

Last edited:
My mate had these BITD. My overriding memory of them are the night he took a 90 degree downhill tarmac corner too fast on a set of Ground Control Extremes. Back wheel slid out dumping him on the ground still attached to pedals, which sparked as slid down the road. Had to pick him up to get out of them.

I have these on tioga surefoot pedals. Originally standard kit on high end Cannondales in the 90's.
Thinking about using them on current build

Back