Power drill sanding/polishing

Tsundere

Fat Chance Fan
Feedback
View
Anyone use their power drill for sanding, polishing and buffing? How well does it do the job? Can you recommend and attachment kits that would be useful specifically for bike related work?

Or is their a better similarly priced solution? INB4 'By hand', yes, of course, I will finish by hand but to get through the worst of it I want some assistance.

Last edited:
Drill holding clamp. You can have per pic, or with the drill pointing up. I've had one for years and it is invaluable.

Attachments

• Drill holding clamp.jpg
    Drill holding clamp.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 3
Much the same as above.

Ive got a £12 draper drill which ive used for polishing, paint mixing and general thrashing to save my good kit for 20 years.

Just clamp mine in a black and decker workmate and thread the wheels on to the arbour.

The Meguiar’s headlight restoring kit has a handy 3” hook and loop backing pad. The foam polishing pad that comes with it is actually quite good, and many car care/detailing shops (both online and the likes of Halfords etc) have a vast selection of pads in various hardness and styles depending on what you are doing. Plus it is possible to shave down a bigger pad to suit a 3” backing pad.

Anyone use their power drill for sanding, polishing and buffing? How well does it do the job? Can you recommend and attachment kits that would be useful specifically for bike related work?

Or is their a better similarly priced solution? INB4 'By hand', yes, of course, I will finish by hand but to get through the worst of it I want some assistance.

I use a drill because you can move it around the piece that you are working on too.

But I am thinking about getting a bench grinder once I can make some room for it somewhere and one of those little Dremel type multi tools to sand intricate areas.

Owe and find yourself a good stainless steel buffering kit with the right compounds and mops.

Back