Powder coating a retro full suspension frame and painting on top.

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I plan to get my spare, disc and bearing converted GT RTS powder coated white and then let my kids paint on that before getting it clear coated (which I'll probably do myself unless anyone suggests otherwise).

For a hardtail, I know the usual areas need to be protected from powder coat (BB threads, head tube and any bosses/threads), but are there any additional precautions I should take with the frame being full suspension?

Not sure whether to do both front and rear white, or do the front white and rear something different. Black? Turquoise? Pink?

Would it be silly to have the coil spring done in the same colour as the rear triangle?

Will clear coating on top myself be a viable option?

I'm not sure what the kids will lay down, and I don't know if I'd be better letting them paint, or if there are pen options that would work, be uv resistant and be happy to be clear coated.

Also wondering if I let them go to town on the frame and put decals on afterwards, or get some decal stencils and let them paint within them so I'd have an original looking bike but with essentially custom decals.

Last but not least, anyone know of a good, reasonably priced company in the Surrey area as if possible I'd drop it off rather than post. If not, a good option further afield that does a good job and doesn't mind posting.

Cheers

For starters i would love to see your disc equipped rts (been thinking of getting an rts myself).
I was planning to do something similar last year, white paint and then Sharpie it before clear coat. Don't know how old your kids are but pens might be easier and might give a flatter surface to paint after. The frame i was going to use ended up being scrap so i never finished the project but I'd be interested to see how yours goes.
I've clear coated myself before which has been ok but not usually as tough as a professional powder coat finish.

I'm not sure how well a Sharpie will do under UV light, anyone know? Are there paint pen options?

You’d need to check for solvents in the lacquer, you might dissolve all your kids efforts! Acrylic would prob be fine but not very tough for a top coat, a 2K clear coat would be tough, shiny and hard-wearing but is solvent based…. 🤷‍♂️ I guess a trial run would be a good idea before tackling the frame itself. 👍🏻

Cheers for the suggestions, will check out the pens and do a trial run.

Just need to find a decent but reasonay priced powder coater and work out what needs blanking off etc.

@ishaw just seen the link I feel bad now £5 for a pen! XD no idea if this will work but logic tells me that if there made for outside they should be UV suitable <3

Cheers for the suggestions, will check out the pens and do a trial run.

Just need to find a decent but reasonay priced powder coater and work out what needs blanking off etc.
Aurora Powdercoating in Aldershot, used them for loads of bits on my Suzuki Bandit.

Latest posts

Back