Post 31/12/1999 Music that doesn't suck!

The special. Was it any good?

To be fair 'T.H.M', - I found it all rather stilted, as it was filmed, segment by segment.

The Producer (man) briefed the audience - "When the LAUGH clapperboard comes up, LAUGH exaggeratedly"

This didn't go down well with my mid-twenties 'jaded-cynicism' or outlook - About 120 folks in the crowd.

Seats were like cinema rows, but, with FAR more legroom - I guess they were 'removable' as a block, per row ?

(By that, I mean remember that each studio might have a rapid re-deployment, within days, different useage)

I spent most of the show, gawping at a (stunning) woman's legs, the tall pretty-lass barely covering her clitoris, on-stage :p

My Wife, knowing I was (basically) a "window-shopper", nudged me & said, "I'll bet you fancy her?"

(Like, "Doth A Bear $hit In The Royal Woods ?")

Am told she was Russ Abbott's female sidekick ('eye-candy'), but then many of us men WERE 'sexist' in the 1970's/1980's

"If" someone nudged me her name, it might ring a bell - remember, this was April 1988 & time since, has just shot-by.

I've always had a good-memory for detail & 1988 doesn't SEEM that long-ago, but time's passed like a rocket (sadly), since.

Being bluntly honest here, I was never a Russ Abbott 'fan', but, off camera, he "is" a really good bloke & very-likeable !

T'was prob' me, stuffing my face w/Grub & downing a $hitload of BEER that Christmas, so I never watched it, televised.

The in-laws (& wife) did AND told me it wuz 'great', but then light-hearted shows like that, just weren't my "thing".

Best bit (crumpet aside), was the fact that I'd been to the BBC Studios and "seen" how things were done = Educational.

Thanks for enquiring BTW.

At around 2 AM I lost my dad. A man who shaped me in so many ways, always took part in my crazy projects - of which I had many, since childhood. Be it the building of crazy DIY instruments, weird contraptions or indeed teaching me how to put together a bike. He sucked at doing tyres, and I suck at it too, and I'm as clumsy as he is.. was.. - but he taught me everything I know. He was a jack of all trades, master of none. And I hope be even half as skilled as he was. I remember as a child having him teach me how to swing an axe, with legs spread apart, not to injure myself. He never followed that example and for most of his life he had his knees all gashed up by constant injuries, and he always ended up doing something stupid - the kind of fella that keeps you on your toes, I could imagine his theme tune being 'for my next trick I'll need a volunteer' by Warren Zevon. He was a hoarder of random shite he found in charity shops and he would fill rooms with the stuff, a chainsmoker, a former alcoholic, lover of 60s and 70s psychedelic rock, and his gambling on football games defined him, to the point where even at the end of his life here that was one of the most important things, apart from his family. He could be a real pain in the arse and he often caused a lot of trouble. But right now I'd take all the hard moments times a million, as long as he'd still be around.

Hope you're all alright out there.

Back