Poll - Replica frames/bikes and the naming of them

what decals should I put on the bike?

• Blank - not to keen on this but may consider it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yeti C-26

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yeti O-19 (I'm called oliver and aged 19)

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Fake (in small text) Yeti C-26

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Other (please comment!)

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

oliverracing

Old School Hero
As you may have seen I'm planning on making a replica yeti c-26 frame, to replace my current scott summit frame as the top tube is now supporting a rather large dent :( , so I plan on replacing the 3 main tubes with carbon. My plan is to do it in yeti colours, so desert turquoise with highlighter yellow forks (looking at using an old kona p2 as it's straight bladed ;) ) and stem, I'm planning on building it up with some flared drop bars as a sort of tribute to Tomacs!

so the question really is what should I call this frame/build as I want to get some decals made up by gil-m, but I don't want to upset the retrobike community by branding my frame a yeti c-26, should that offend everyone!

If you dont sell it and tell everyone who asks its a fake then badge it as you want. If you intend to pass it on then some detail change that will mark it out as a fake might be a good idea and you should be upfront about its origins. For future its buyer beware, nothing cant be faked its just down to buyers knowledge of the tells. If you sell it on you cant stop what the buyer then does with it.

You can pretty much call it what you like, BUT, with my sensible head on, if you call it a Yeti and put a set of Yeti decals on it, then you could be accused of creating a fake (as opposed to a replica or homage) you could also be accused of breaking copyright.

Now the chances of anyone taking action against you are minimal, but, never the less you would still be treading on Yeti's toes.

ok, lets be realistic here, and by that i mean you're asking what other people might think of what you do with your property and the response you may get for doing something.

personally i don't like to badge up bikes as something they are not, just because i think it sucks as an idea, that's my opinion. you don't put a ferrari badge on a ford etc.

another opinion held by i think quite a few is that badging up a frame as a yeti and especially a c-26 would be rude, out of order, offensive, annoying and worthy of abuse, and the more obsessed people will have a go (which is a bit sad but true)

then there will be people who say "it's your property, do what you want", which is true but again, you might get some stick for it.

personally if you are going to badge it up as something i would suggest something that hints at what you are attempting to build but not actually using the yeti c-26 names.

for example, i wanted to build a cyclocross bike a few years ago, i got a Fort cyclocross frame, relatively unknown, i would have loved to have an Orange made cross frame but unfortunately they didn't make them at the time, so i asked them (was in the trade at the time) if they would mind if i painted one to look like a clockwork, they said they didn't mind but said don't stick it on forums as people would think they were making something they were not so i decided to paint it green/white and call it a "lime crosswork" (i also did a "Lemon roadwork" road bike) so my suggestion would be to name it something similar but not yeti etc.

:)

good point you have here guys - completely ignored the "yeti" part of the name :facepalm: - any suggestions as I'm drawing a blank :(

As for the not wanting to annoy people, that would be my main aim, as I'm an engineer wishing to experiment and pay respect/tribute to the idea/design/aesthetics of the c-26 as I feel they are one of the most stunning bikes ever made (especially with drop bars ;) ), all while not stepping on any toes or upsetting people, as for resale, the fact that I'm bonding some homemade carbon tubes into an old steel frame will make it pretty hard to sell in my opinion!

Call it a Yety, same sound, different spelling or Yetti with 2 T's or Yetty. Just not Yeti so its not a deliberate copy or is that copi or coppi.......no wait thats an Italian marque ...........

I suggest each new C 26 replica should have a new alpha designation:

c26, d26, e26 , etc. - not sure, but guess yours would probably be around J 26.

When all 26 letters of the alphabet are used up (about 2018?) we can move on to 27 and keep the whole thing rotating, ad infinitum.

Or just call it Beti. Or Alan.

Back