please enter the Mountain Cycle room......

Good evening all. Just joined Retrobike this evening and stumbled across this thread. Here is my shockwave 9.5. Only get ridden in summer nowadays. If its to new for this forum then I will happily delete it.

Welcome, nice bike :cool:

Being the 98+ section means all bikes from 98 upwards are welcome, most here own modern bikes as well.

Here's my Mountain Cycle shockwave 9.5 as it was built up initially in 2009.

Initially I was just trying to build up something relatively cheaply (for like < €2k at the time) to ride in Tenerife while I was living there. Couldn't really afford or justify spending any more than that.

I ended up ditching the SASO forks almost straight away as the rebound was not fast enough and they were a wee bit too soft and linear also.
(with the combined result that they packed down way too easily)

Since then I have realised that cheap off-brand suspension is probably never really worth it in the end.

More recently, It all started with the brakes (avid code).
They eventually corroded so I swapped them with magura.

Then I changed the saddle (which was a spare one that I had lying around, even though it had ti rails, never liked it, so that had to go).
Was able to sell it and then with the money directly buy a more suitable brand new saddle.

Then something took a hold of me, I don't know what, but throughout 2022 I've slowly been swapping out the remaining components that somehow bothered/niggled me for this build.

The only things left from this build now are the frame, the cranks (hussefelt) and the discs (formula 220mm).
Well, I still have the original wheels as pictured, but they are HEAVY (built them up with straight gauge spokes and those rims weigh a tonne).

I'm still waiting on some parts so it won't be ready for another month (or two).
Look forward to posting more pics when it is finally finished.

Anyway, here is how it was:

Attachments

• mountain-cycle-shockwave-9-5.jpg
    mountain-cycle-shockwave-9-5.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Anyone on here, who has not already, go onto the fan badges page and vote for Mountain Cycle. That way we can have MC as our brand in our signatures.
10 votes are needed. I think we only need two or three more.

Latest posts

Back