Peugeot Dakar 21 - Advise

A.sherratt

Retro Newbie
My dad has an original and immaculate 1989 Peugeot Dakar 21, which he has owned from new and has rarely used. As his cycling days are now behind him, he is looking to move the bike on but has no idea of what it is worth. The bike is totally original including the tyres and Peugeot water bottle and has a shimano XT group set, a Reynolds 531 frame and araya rims on XT hubs.
Any advise on the value and how to advertise it would be greatly received.
Many Thanks
Amanda

Attachments

• 21FF5D9C-DBFB-4245-8BA0-565354F7FEBB.jpeg
    21FF5D9C-DBFB-4245-8BA0-565354F7FEBB.jpeg
    301 KB · Views: 16
Hi.
I have the same frame, (very nice) but unfortunately it had been painted over so doesn't have that nice original paintwork.
It's certaily rare, but not especially sought after. I would guess something like £200-£250 given the condition and original components.
I'd recommend advertising it in the 'For Sale' forum here at the higher end of the price you want and see if you get any acceptable offers - if not, you can put it on Ebay and make sure you include all the important details you've mentioned (531 frame, XT groupset) and see what price it reaches - Ebay might help get a slightly higher price, here it is more likely to go to a good home and you are far less likely to get messed around by the buyer, so it depends on your preferences.
If I wasn't going abroad again I'd certainly be very tempted.
Lovely bike, good luck with the sale.

Back