Peugeot 753 Frame ID

Innesuson

Retro Newbie
I have a Peugeot 753 road bike 1980's possibly even 1970's. The frame has been resprayed in the past and is no longer in its original colours. I would like to use the frame ID stamped under the bottom bracket to try and identify the model and year of manufacture. I bought the bike in the early 90's from a member of Plymouth Corinthians Cycling Club and I think that they had bought it from another member in the 80's hence the reason for believing it could be 1970's. Any steer in the right direction would be really appreciated 👍

Without photos no one would have a clue. You'd need to describe every aspect in detail for readers to make an informed guess.
Sorry if that sounds a brutal response, no offence intended

Thanks for the reply, no offence taken, serves me right :)

It's stored at another location so I'll get some photos together tomorrow and post. The problem is that I think most parts have been swapped out for alternatives and aren't original to the bike, however some may be? For starters the frame number is Y8090955, more info to follow

From the research I've done trying to identify my own Peugeot frame, that number suggests a 1988 model. Also from my research, you might find it "interesting" to get a positive ID given that it's been resprayed since most of the info I've found suggests that the only real way to work it out is either from the sticker on either rear dropout or BB shell (this would have the model on it, but likely gone with the paint job) or to find your year & then compare colour scheme/tubeset/groupset to pictures in the Peugeot catalogues on a site like Peugeotshow dot com.

I think your best hope, seeing as you bought it when it was likely only a few years old, would be to go through the '88 catalogues and compare the suspected original parts on your bike to what was standard on which models in that year. Hopefully you can get date codes off some and see if they correspond to either '88 or even '78 (Although I don't think Peugeot used a letter prefix on frame numbers prior to 1980 hence my suspicion of '88 ), that would make them more likely to be original then. Weinmann were good at putting the date on brakes etc)

Last edited:
I'm sticking with my call of 1988 for the year, does look to have been pretty comprehensively updated componentry-wise though. Have a trawl through the catalogues I mentioned & compare what was available in the '88 and '89 model years with that combination of 753 tubeset/chromed stays/simplex dropouts/rear cable routing & band-on front mech. Pretty sure it's '88 or newer though, looks lovely & must ride nicely too. Seems nothing else rides quite like a Peugeot, not sure how they did it but they always felt more responsive and "precise" to anything else (admit I've not a huge portfolio of road bikes I've ridden, but every Pug has felt that way).

I'm sticking with my call of 1988 for the year, does look to have been pretty comprehensively updated componentry-wise though. Have a trawl through the catalogues I mentioned & compare what was available in the '88 and '89 model years with that combination of 753 tubeset/chromed stays/simplex dropouts/rear cable routing & band-on front mech. Pretty sure it's '88 or newer though, looks lovely & must ride nicely too. Seems nothing else rides quite like a Peugeot, not sure how they did it but they always felt more responsive and "precise" to anything else (admit I've not a huge portfolio of road bikes I've ridden, but every Pug has felt that way).
Really appreciate the reply and narrowing down the search. Couple of brews and trawl through the catalogues tomorrow evening, I'll post how I get on, may help others in the future. Appreciate the comments about the look (even though not original paintwork and components), it's a great bike and have covered thousands of miles on it over the years, still feels as good as it did back when I first bought it, and I agree with your comments about the responsiveness. I was pondering selling on and investing in a modern road bike but just can't bring myself to let it go, think it will remain my road bike of choice and I'll keep those wheels turning :)

Definitely don't sell it if you don't have to! By all means try out a modern, you might enjoy it but I'm pretty sure you'd be back fairly quickly. I've tried a few more modern bikes over the years but nothing is ever quite as rewarding to ride.

Back