Period correct rims

Yogi bear

Retro Guru
What would be a period correct rim to use with Deore DX hubs on an American bike?
I seem to be stuck in a rut of just using Mavic 217's on everything.
Not wanting to chase rare exotic rims for this build

American build you say? I have some ceramic matrix rims made in USA, I believe they were trek house brand.

Mavics tend to be the go to rim, if dx you'd probably be looking at 230/231 for that sort of period.

American build you say? I have some ceramic matrix rims made in USA, I believe they were trek house brand.

Mavics tend to be the go to rim, if dx you'd probably be looking at 230/231 for that sort of period.
Yeah, American, not feeling the love for this build. Bit of a detour from my normal type of build. It might grow on me. Previous builds have all been for riding, but this one might stay in the shed.
Are the matrix rims 32 hole?
Hopefully you’ve still got a couple of bits aside for me.

You could consider Wolber AT-400 - they were specced on top end Rocky Mountains in '93 - and plenty of Cannondales
DX had gone by 1994 so..

Mavic 231/261
(217 are too new)

Araya RM400/RM14 (top of the range race rimes) and RM20/RM17 for next down the range.

Campagnolo Stheno/Mirrox/Atek (need to double check release dates)

Sun Chinook 12 and?

Weinmann Bontrager BCR 1, 2 and 3?

Loads of others.

Last edited:
Yes, matrix are 32h. You may need to remind me what bits I was saving for you, its been a while.

Thanks for all the suggestions, have plenty of options to look at. I did have a look to see what the original spec would have been, but was only available as a bare frame and forks, so I can choose anything.

Back