Paul Components Motolite v brakes - worth it?

Performs equal to a cheap deore and is far more finicky than any other v brake. Its versatility in regards to pad height and sleek design does not outweigh the finickiness of having to use a cone wrench to adjust tension and the need for multiple size hex keys. It also scratches and looks ugly very easily. As with most Paul's components stuff it's overpriced shite best sold off to buy proper kit. I kept them on my cross check and they break fine, but I will probably upgrade them with some cheap Deore sometime. Can get the equivalent of a nice frame for those two brakes.

I have a knock off PRG set which is nicer than the original Paul's, so try to look for them if you want something similar but slightly nicer. Still finicky though.

It is bonkers how complicated they managd to make simple items. I think they just set out to re-invent the wheel instead of just making a round wheel, rounder. I got some cheap Moon Unit cable hangers but i draw the line there as they aren't that great, either.
Top tip if you buy the latter 2nd hand is too ask for a pic of the area where the cable is clamped. If it is shiny and mauled, from cable slip, do not purchase. Also; replace or flip the washers that clamp the cable as they bend and you lose clamping force. Early Moon Units clamped cables in a different way and was probably alot better.

We're all too eager to complain that all the small artisan component makers were driven out of business but we're not willing to support the few which are left?.. of course the components are not worth it.. of course they can't compete with the likes of Shimano.. you'd go out of business trying

Got some Motolites on my road/gravel bike, stop on a dime and no issues. Initially mated to Altek levers on a flat bar and now with 105 road levers on drops, working flawlessly.

Last edited:
Back