Paris-Roubaix bike

i'm liking the colnago for this assuming you are now happy with that fork, i remember seeing it when you got it, those cobbles are not the place to have a dodgy fork but if it's sorted i think that bike with 28 or 32 mm tyres would be good. seem to remember it was quite roadie geometry for a cross bike so should be nice to ride on an event like that. :D

and by the way, fair play for doing that event aswel :cool:

Having ridden it a few times on a titanium Colnago with 25mm tyres, anything more could be overkill IMO - whilst Landcruisers might be OK for 3 Peaks, remember, you're riding 220km on the road.

In fact the Merckxx and a pair of Vittoria pave.

Hmmm, so far there are opinions suggesting the IF, the Colnago and the Raleigh plus a rogue one suggesting the Merckx (which wasn't in the mix but has to be now - what about the wildcard of the Zullo? Or fixed on the Pompino?).

Strong wheels is a given and will go with 28c tyres as a minimum (and have ridden 80 miles on the road on the Landcruisers, comfortable and the combination of toughness and decreased risk of pinch punctures is great for peace of mind).

I fitted the Landcruisers to the Colnago and had a 20 mile test ride. All was fine. But it isn't a road bike and therefore not 'pure' enough for the event - sod comfort, ridicule from the Retrobike cognoscenti will hurt far longer than any dull ache to the undercarriage. So road bike it is. Probably.

Damn, the choice of bike could be harder than the ride!

One of my NL friends has some NOS Ruby SL's that he'll consider parting with if anyone wants them for the PR.

Ride a normal road bike. The merckx perhaps?

Eddy himself rode the hell of the north on a normal road bike. Robbie McEwen uses a crosser. Decide for yourself.

Which ever bike you choose Ed, you've now oficially entered my personal pantheon of cycling heroes alongside Brian Robinson and Alf Engers.

PB AND Fred Whitton all in the space of a couple of weeks!

Magnificent :!: :!: :D

John":2l751u6b said:
Decide for yourself.

And there we have the nub of the problem, I can't - I think I may be channeling Gus!

Current thinking (which I reserve the right to turn on it's head at any moment for no particularly good reason) is to use a road bike with wider/comfier tyres and bar tape.

Back