Panasonic team MTB

Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
This is my Panasonic in team livery. First a brief introduction.

Panasonic bicycle
Mr. Matsushita, founder of Panasonic, was a bike enthousiast. Panasonic made bicycles since the 50's. More on history in the Panasonic Bicyles Virtual Museum: https://www.panasonicbikemuseum.info/history/

Panasonic pro team
The Panasonic race team evolved from the TI Raleigh team. Initially Panasonic raced with Raleigh. Later the team switched to Eddy Merckx and Colnago. From 1990 the team raced on Panasonic's own PR-6000. The team manager was Peter Post. On wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panasonic_(cycling_team)

53113850219_565770e047_w.jpg

Peter Post

Panasonic PR-6000
The PR-6000 was the team-bike in the early 90s. It was developed with input from mechanic Jan Legrand, already working for the team since the TI Raleigh years. The PR-6000 frame has Tange Prestige tubing, silver-brazed with lugs. Both down- and toptube have a 28,6mm diameter for extra stability. Group: Dura-Ace 7400.

53109915395_432f2ededf_b.jpg

There was also a PR-6000 from the shelve for the paying customer: same specs, 7000 guilders. Panasonic issued mountainbike equivilents of the PR-6000. For 1991 this was the tig welded Tange Prestige MC-Pro. For 1992 and 1993 it was succeeded by the silver-brazed Tange Prestige MC-Team with full XTR m900. They all came in in team livery.

Panasonic Order System (POS)
Panasonic bicycles are not available in Europe and the US anymore. When you live in Japan you can still buy them. Panasonic still carries the POS program in Japan. In the US, when Panasonic was available, it was called PICS. PICS for Panasonic Individual Custom System. The POS program consists of custom order titanium and steel road, cross, track and touring bikes. The team Panasonic livery is among the options you can select. The POS website: https://cycle.panasonic.com/products/pos/

Enough introduction. On to the bike.

The bike
The frame is welded from Tange MTB OS butted tubing. Fork: Tange BigFork-S. Equipment includes Deore DX, Araya RM-17, Avocet and of course tires from Panaracer. The story is it originally belonged to a rider of the Panasonic team.

53110893337_18b4a0ebe9_h.jpg

Very nice bikes and thanks for sharing. Panasonic made some of the best steel frames regarding MTB and road. I do remember that one professional road bikerace team used Panasonic bikes in the early 90's

I have pictures of the team livery graphics.

53111463626_2ed0ee8557_c.jpg

The original name of Mr. Matsushita's company was 'National'. For export reasons the name was changed to Panasonic. Apparently Panasonic felt the need to put even more emphasis on the international character of the company.

53111671744_aa58b5fc47_c.jpg

Under the Panasonic name in small letters 'Matsushita Electric Industrial Co. Ltd.'

53111880980_267d3dd46e_c.jpg

53111463436_a794009980_c.jpg

I think you are right. They loose air pretty rapidly, what is a characteristic of latex.

Cool rider. A couple years ago I were able to get hands on a Panasonic MC Team. It had seen a lot use. About the only original part left was the frame. Many chips, scratches and a dent in the toptube. I disassembled the bike and polished and waxed the paint. Nice item to study, but the shape is not nice enough to build it up. The MC Team frame uses Tange Prestige tubing. Lugged construction, brazed with silver. The MC Team frame is very light.

A Panasonic dealer gave me a catalogue with your MC Pro in it in 1991. The catalogue is available in the archive, including the price list. It was 4700 guilders.

Back