Pace RC200 F8 Rear Wheel Alignment - Newbie Help

WiteWulf

Retro Newbie
Hi folks, firstly: hello! This is my first post as I've just signed up for an account here :cool:

I'm in need of some advice and a friend recommended the retrobike forum, considering the vintage of my ride. I've got a Pace RC200 F8 18" from 1999 that my dad passed on to me recently when he stopped riding. I'm a real beginner in the world of mountain biking so apologies if my terminology is a little off.

I've been riding a lot over the summer, partly as physio for a broken leg I sustained in January, and now the weather has turned I've been sliding about a fair bit on the trails around here. I bought some knobbly tyres to help with the mud (Schwalbe Magic Mary 26"x2.35" at the front and a Big Betty 26"x2.40" for the back) and, after struggling to get the tyres on the rims, was disappointed to find that the rear tyre is clashing with the front derailleur cable and the anti-chainsuck plate at one point around it's rotation. The wheel isn't spinning perfectly straight, and while it's only deviating by a millimetre or two, it's revealed something I fear may be more serious.

The wheel was mounted in the dropouts with the bike on the floor, so I'm certain it's all the way in, but looking at it from the rear the tyre is quite obviously to the right of the seat post. Looking more closely at the point where the tyre clashes with the cable and anti-chainsuck, I can see zero clearance on the drive side, but about 1cm on the opposite side.

The Big Betty is obviously a tight fit, and while I could fix this with a slimmer tyre, I'm now somewhat concerned that there's something wrong with the wheel or frame geometry. Is the RC200 meant to have offset chainstays and I just can't run tyres this wide, or does the wheel just need re-dishing to recenter it?

FYI, I'm having no problems at all with the rear gears and the disc is also lined up perfectly in the calipers.

Any advice would be gratefully received :LOL:

Here's some pics, hopefully make it a bit clearer:
Looking down from the rear, note the tyre is offset to the right (it looks worse in real life!)
IMG_0288.jpeg

View towards bottom bracket from inside wheel radius, note tyre clashing with anti-chainsuck plate
IMG_0289.jpeg

Looking down from underneath saddle, note space between tyre and chainstay on non-drive side
IMG_0290.jpeg

Similar view, opposite side. Note lack of clearance between tyre and anti-chainsuck plate
IMG_0291.jpeg

Re:

Could be either the wheel or the frame. Fingers crossed the former. Easiest way to check is to flip the wheel in the dropouts and see if the misalignment also swaps sides.

Thanks d8mok, I've got the manual for the F8 with me and the sections on wheel building and "rear frame triangle and wheel" are identical to the doc you posted. I don't understand what I'm reading well enough, though, to understand if the wheel offset is intentional, although it does say:

The F8 features an asymmetrical rear triangle. What this means for you is a straighter chainlink for better power transmission, and a reduction in dishing in the rear wheel which increases the wheels strength and life

A large amount of tyre clearance is given in both the seat and chainstays, and the F8 will accept any width of tyre.

Re: Re:

Captain Stupido":2xh4w70t said:
Could be either the wheel or the frame. Fingers crossed the former. Easiest way to check is to flip the wheel in the dropouts and see if the misalignment also swaps sides.

Cheers, already found that suggestion elsewhere, but the cassette clashes with the brake calliper when I tried that (disc brakes btw), so couldn't get it all the way in to the dropouts. I guess I could try removing the brake calliper and trying again tomorrow when I've got some light back

Re:

Wheel just needs re-dishing as per the manual.

Take it to old school LBS with the manual and get them to sort it. Wont take them 10 mins.

LBS==Local Bike Shop, right?

That'll be Pedal Power in Loughborough for me

Thank you every one so much for the helpful advice and comments.

Re:

Yes that’s correct

Not a Evans or similar as you more likely to get someone who knows in a LBS

Re:

Aye, the wheel just needs 'un-dishing' a little to centre the rim in the chain and seat stays, nothing wrong with the frame.
Tyre is probably a bit on the big side, Pace frames were built for XC racing and Max tyre width in fashion of the day was prob a 1.9" ;)

Back