Pace RC200 F3

Cetim

Devout Dirtbag
Despite saying I wouldn't build any more bikes, I was idly browsing FB and this frame popped up. Localish to me. I dropped the seller a message and after a socially distanced meeting and a great chat about bikes, it was mine.

Untitled by Mac74, on Flickr

I'm going to endeavour to do a proper build thread, ideally this will be finished over the winter once I've cleared some space. From first inspections, one of the bottle bolts just spins in the frame and there are a couple of scratches needing addressed. It's very shiny though!

I'm still deciding where to go with this build. It will definitely be rigid as I'm fed up of soggy RC36. There's potential for a Suntour build and maybe a coloured powdercoat but still not sure on that. Will need to go to Gil for the missing decals

I couldn't resist a few mockups today. I've got RC30 legs and a few crowns. I really like this purple one which I think is from a RC35MXD. They are the same width as the RC30 crown, so work well. The only problem I have is that the crown is 1-1/4 and the shim I have is 1-1/8. Did they do a 1-1/4 to 1" shim?

Wheels and brakes are to be decided, I have these wheels which I've never found anything to use on. Good CK front hub and the dish on the rear seems to work on the Pace frame. I'd like a rear Hope hub but I'm not sure about another Ti-glide as the last one I had cracked

For brakes, I have XTR v brakes but this is really a canti era frame. The rear is fine but not sure how I'd do the cable stop on the front with the RC30s.

to be continued....

Looks sweet buddy, for the cable stop on the front may I suggest an anno purple headset collar, would look trick and function amazingly well.

Re:

Cheers. Do you mean the thing that replaces a headset spacer? Do they even do these in purple!

Cetim":3a5fylp3 said:
For brakes, I have XTR v brakes but this is really a canti era frame. The rear is fine but not sure how I'd do the cable stop on the front with the RC30s.

to be continued....

Beautiful frame! I have a soft spot for Pace kit (one day I will have one of those boxy shiny frames!) On the above note, I recently bought some RC36's that have the Pace brace and mount thingy for canti brakes. I'm going V-brakes with it so it's being consigned to the bits box. I need the brace (or one without the hole drilled) so if you can use it, I'm happy to post it out to you.

I also have a silver headtube mount guide if the brace idea doesn't suit.

Re: Re:

Cetim":2xumxavy said:
Cheers. Do you mean the thing that replaces a headset spacer? Do they even do these in purple!

they will do, rando ones turn up of ebay regulary, but dont spend hundreds on one hahaha

Re:

Thanks to above for advice. I’ve decided to go cantis, found a headset cable stop in purple and also found a set of M900 cantis which are the right year for this frame.

Next job is to decide on a BB, get decals from Gil and sort the bottle cage bolt.

Re:

Made some good progress.

Forks are currently with Justbackdated to sort out the shims with using RC30 legs in a MXC crown. This was an option from Pace at the time. He's also providing the correct 11/4" - 1" crown shim.

Decals from Gil arrived. I went for two colour options to see which one is best

I managed to get the stuck fast ti bottle cage bolt out. It was spinning in the rivnut but using a soldering iron to heat the bolt and clamping the rivnut managed to free it. I have to do the same with one of the crudcatcher bolts but it will be even harder to do as the bolt covers the rivnut.

I've bought a set of Hope hubbed wheels and am going to transfer the rear rim onto the Tiglide. Will lose the snowflake pattern but it needs redished for the frame. This is beyond my crude wheelbuilding skills, so I'm getting someone local to do it. The front snowflake can stay.

Bought a nice set of M900 cantis. Just missing the front decal but I can live with that.

Few purple parts ordered. Canti stop and straddles, if I decide not to use the Shimano link wire.

Re:

Some more progress this week.

Fork legs are back from Tim /Justbackdated to have the correct shims fitted to the top to match the MXC crown. A bit of a hassle just so I can use a crown with the purple ends but worth it and Tim was absolutely great in helping me understand the differences and what was needed.

I did have the earlier MXC split shims but this crown is slighty later and needs wraparound ones with a lip. They click nicely into place and feel rock solid.

He also supplied a 1 1/4" - 1" reducer crown shim.

Found a nice Zefal bottle cage as well

Next step is to get the correctly dished wheel back and I'm still trying to remove the stuck crud catcher bolt.

Back