Pace RC100

Once A Hero

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Pace RC100

I’ve never owned a Pace of any variant before but have always felt that the RC100 is an iconic bike, so have taken a leap into Pace ownership. One of the guys I used to ride with when I first started had one, and several other mates had team edition/custom Pace RC200s, so I do have some memories of being around them at the time when they were new - just never owned one.

I’ve always seen Paces in large sizes and thought that the proportions don’t look quite right - plus large frames are too big for me anyway, therefore I’d need a smaller frame if I were to want to ride one.

A 17” frameset came up for sale on EBay, and given that it was complete with RC30 legs, steerer stem, and Bulleye cranks I thought I’d go for it.
7B97CD74-53F2-44E2-9310-FBB2BAD5D9A3.jpeg

374C679E-1D83-420F-9446-23E1C366784B.jpeg

Paid a reasonably strong price - but only because the hard to find bits were all there. Including a braze-on Campag front mech. And who knows how long it would have taken and how much it would have cost to source bits individually if not bought as a package.

So it seems this was probably an RC100 LE originally - going by the Campag mech, chainring and seatpost qr that came with the frameset.

I’m not into Campag - absolutely no experience with the stuff, and as this project features so many new experiences for me, I’m going to build the bike up with Shimano kit - which I know how to work with and source.

Maguras - never owned any of them before either! So another learning curve!

The frameset is rough in places, but really good in others, so I’m in two minds whether to fully restore it or keep the patina. But the biggest issue is that the seatstay bridge has been drilled right through to allow attachment of a road bike brake calliper (was this a couriers hack perhaps?) - so may have been weakened. The fork crown has had similar butchery - but that’s a replaceable part.

The top tube cable guides are missing too.

Parts needed upon purchase:
Steerer stem washer - sourced! racer x
Cable guides - sourced from Vintage Cannondale
Headset - sourced! eBay
Handlebars - sourced! Jez-4-bikes-max
Grips - sourced! eBay
Wheels/tubes/tyres - wheels/tubes sourced! Donor bike...
Seatpost - sourced! rod_saetan
Saddle - sourced! eBay
Maguras - sourced! Donor bike
Shifters - sourced! Donor bike
Rear mech - sourced! eBay
Chainrings - sourced! Donor bike
Cassette - sourced! Donor bike
Chain - sourced! Donor bike
Pedals - sourced! scant
Cables and outers - sourced! Donor bike/new
Various bolts - sourced! racer x

I’m well on with sourcing the parts, and once I’ve got them all I’m going to do a dry assembly, after which I will probably have to shelve the project for a while in order to focus on other builds which I’d like to finish first.

A lot of the parts came from this donor bike, which has a cracked frame...
98E1E061-E613-4719-A0C5-5134844DD97C.jpeg

Looking forward to getting this complete!

Last edited:
what a project - what an Iconic Build

Once A Hero":1h2ov1gm said:
...the biggest issue is that the seatstay bridge has been drilled right through to allow attachment of a road bike brake calliper (was this a couriers hack perhaps?) - so may have been weakened. The fork crown has had similar butchery - but that’s a replaceable part.

Danson is you man for careful and surgical frame repairs if you go down the route of restoration and paint

Re:

Forgot to mention that I have also sourced an anti-chain suck device from boy”O”boy, and a couple of Mt Zefal bottle cages from narcotitlan :)

I’m waiting for Magura direct mounts to arrive, and then I need to figure out if I’ve got enough Renthal bolts to go around :?:

Re: Re:

longun":2amzh1ji said:
Sweeeet, look forward to seeing this develop. Have fun with it

I’m glad it’s been saved - and now in safehands, had it been a gate size I guess it would be at Longun towers -LOL
I’m happy with my F2 but even I have to admit a 100 trumps everything

Re: Re:

Retro Spud":1mf0k2wd said:
longun":1mf0k2wd said:
Sweeeet, look forward to seeing this develop. Have fun with it

I’m glad it’s been saved - and now in safehands, had it been a gate size I guess it would be at Longun towers -LOL
I’m happy with my F2 but even I have to admit a 100 trumps everything

Haha, 14 pace projects is enough.

Very interesting project. The Saracen is nice too. Pity it is cracked.

Re:

A few pics of the current progress.
Magura mounts not arrived yet - really lax seller/shop getting them in from Germany :roll:
No knobbly tyres yet either. EBC89D8D-71E3-4232-A11A-19720676443A.jpeg 9BE156E2-C754-40AE-BA97-73D4C7C87F2E.jpeg D6D360B2-0567-4B1B-A5AB-91D4C81F91C1.jpeg

Last edited:
Back