Pace RC100 restoration help.

Croc4d

Retro Newbie
Hi All.

I recently came across an RC-100 as my Wife’s boss was clearing out his garage ready to move. He asked her if our son (13) would like it. He’s getting into mountain biking in the last year or two.

Initially looking at it I was just going to use it for wheels for a welding trailer but when he told me how much he paid and how long ago I thought I’d do some research and I came upon this thread.

Looking at it in the back of the shed it had 2 flat tyres and was covered in 1/2 inch of dust as it hadn’t moved since he put it there nearly 15 yrs ago. We pumped the tyres up and put a bit of lube on the chain and away it went. So now we’re looking tidying it up a bit. Service the bearings, new chain, grips, brake pads etc. Just looking for any tips/info we can get.

By the way we are in Australia about 1/2 way between Sydney and Canberra.

Cheers, Ben. 22ED1C39-CEB1-400E-BE44-94B334D15FD9.jpeg 62A6E14E-A5ED-459B-87ED-E5D37E4B5D86.jpeg 986CB843-C5BC-427B-8001-7DA00995AC38.jpeg

Just looking for any tips/info we can get.
Wow, that’s quite a find.

1) the brake pads are standard magura blocks, they just clip in and out. You don’t need to buy genuine ones, any magura compatible ones will do
2) you can use any grips, but the originals were Grab-on grips, specifically Grab-on MTN-2 grips, you might not be able to find those specific ones cheaply but you can get Grab-on MTN-1 and all manner of other foam grips
3) the bearings are the tough bit, especially the bottom bracket ones. Don’t rip those out and bin them, instead service them as they aren’t an easy part to find.
4) the wheels don’t look original so you may want to source more Period correct ones
5) if you change the chain (7 speed chain), you’ll have to change the rear block too (again, 7 speed)
6) check the fork legs, they have dropped too much in the crown. The tops of the legs should be flush with the crown

it’s the sort of bike you may be surprised by the value of, even in its condition. It’s got all the important parts and is rare.

Back