Pace Rc41 help

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
So after selling a couple of sets a while back, of course I needed a set for a build. DOH!

I've just taken delivery of a set but they have a few issues I'm hoping I can deal with myself. I've usually sent my pace forks to the guru justbackdated but fancy having a go at these myself, but I've only got experience with rockshox and fox (full strip and rebuild level). Are pace rc41s easy to work on? If so I'd like to resolve:

1. Leaking seals. On arrival the fork uppers were coated in fluid that had got past the wipers. Not sure what the internals of these forks are like to know what this is a sign of, apart from oil getting places it shouldn't

2. Clunky. I can push down on them and they move about 5mm and clunk. They then seem to work properly after that and rebound but I can pull up the 5mm and repeat the clunk. Nothing external seems to move, bolts and adjusters aren't loose. What could this be?

Other than this they seem in good cosmetic shape with little to no wear on the black coated uppers.

The forks also have a silver crown. My previous sets both had the dark grey/black crown. It seems original and there is also a red pace factory sticker on the side of the crown. Does this signify anything about the fork model or just how some came or even just a pace service sticker?

Any help gratefully received on identification or service help. I may still send them to Tim as he always does a fantastic job, just fancy breaking my modern ish pace fork duck, done plenty of the rc35 variants.

Cheers

Last edited:
Forks may be surplus to plans but keen to give them a service before deciding. Anyone got any advice on these forks.

From memory my old RC40's were easy enough to work on but quite fragile.

The later Factory forks had a silver crown but also different decals.

Thanks, I suspected they were factory versions based on some Google fu, though I don't know what that really signifies, does that mean made by pace in Yorkshire Vs outsourced?

I do love a pace fork, had many from early 4c5s through to these and most in between.

Back