Overburys Pioneer E Stay cable routing mystery help!

Darcus

Retro Guru
It came to me like this unbuilt..... I thought the frame would require a top pull front mech and then I saw the dumb bell braze ons and figured that if a cable comes over the top tube down the seat tube through one dumbbell and through a cable outer with ferrules then back up the second dumbbell to change direction it should work as a bottom pull?! Please see the link then it might make sense! There's other images of the whole frame on my account for reference. Thanks, Marcus

Doesn't look like there is a roller mount based on the pics. The mounts on the bottom of the seat tube are confusing me as I can't see what they would do as you'd want to route the rear brake and gear cables along the top tube for an e-stay. They also appear to be open, so simply guides for the full outer, not a cable stop, I can't figure that out. There is a stop for a top routed mech so I'd assume it would be able to take one, are there 2 or three guides along the top tube?

Should be exactly as you’ve said. This frame predates top pull front derailleurs, so the cable will come down the seat tube, run through an outer between the two “dumbbell” stops, and back up to the derailleur.

I've learned something today. I had no idea such routing existed. Would like to see how this looks/works.

Should be exactly as you’ve said. This frame predates top pull front derailleurs, so the cable will come down the seat tube, run through an outer between the two “dumbbell” stops, and back up to the derailleur.
Didn't Shimano release top pull in XT and XTR in 92..? Cant seem to open any pics, what year date in on this frame, 91/92..?

You might need thumbs like He-Man though.

I assume there is no guide etc for running the cable under the Bottom bracket? (I've seen a few frames with fixtures for top and bottom pull routing.

Back