Out of everything, what retro would you choose for a long term DAILY off road bike?

I'm currently using this for exactly the purpose you described, Mid range Reynolds steel frame, straight XT M739 and a Z2 Bomber. Unfortunately money is an object to me, it cost around £400 all in and I have no worries about damaging it or wearing it out. It's not particularly light at just over 27lbs but it rides and fits well. DSC_1074_copy_2719x1804.jpg

Of mine, as that's all I can use as a reference.
The 1997 Kona Explosif has to have it, with modern tyres and some nice forks, the Superfly did me well until the air valve snapped.
They are comfy (get a proper size, may even size one above your normal), have a nice riding position and a strong bloody frame.

I like @longun , I wouldn't ride my F3 for any length of time, I don't think they fit me too well, but then I only hang on to is for fun ;-)

My 1991 Altitude is also a comfy bike to ride, but the 1997 Kona Explosif just goes the extra mile and takes longer forks better.

You can stick near anything on them and they still work.
Pretty cheap too (or were).

Ti version frame may be better, but I don't know, so cannot comment.

Orange P7 - the hammerhead. I did ride one 100 plus miles a week as an offroad commuter. I usually rode a 2001 or 2002, the 02 being disc but the only difference outside of brake mounts was the headtube - 1" up to '97. Boutique? Nah! Would be my choice regardless of funds.

Buddy of mine had a P7 back in the day. It lasted for donkeys years and I think Orange even repaired it out of warranty.

Too much procrastination. Boutique? Why not? Use it, that's what it's for. Should it be too brittle, then it's not for mtb full stop.
Build what works for you and what you have available without over thinking.
I do agree on the XT thing, a good target for component.
A good saddle choice and tyre selection would be my first consideration.
A good rolling tyre with some grip, hell I'm back on centre ridge for summer! Feel spongy at the side of knobbly panaracer and so forth. Saddle? I'm away from ti flights and such like. More modern madison and selle italia.

As a side, Fats are just another nice steel frame, they just have a certain following. Plenty of equally decent steel frames.

Much like other brands do.

Ride them if they are nice for you, ride them to the ground.

I'm currently using this for exactly the purpose you described, Mid range Reynolds steel frame, straight XT M739 and a Z2 Bomber. Unfortunately money is an object to me, it cost around £400 all in and I have no worries about damaging it or wearing it out. It's not particularly light at just over 27lbs but it rides and fits well. View attachment 533767

Sounds and looks pretty bomb proof to me.

Too much procrastination. Boutique? Why not? Use it, that's what it's for. Should it be too brittle, then it's not for mtb full stop.
Build what works for you and what you have available without over thinking.
I do agree on the XT thing, a good target for component.
A good saddle choice and tyre selection would be my first consideration.
A good rolling tyre with some grip, hell I'm back on centre ridge for summer! Feel spongy at the side of knobbly panaracer and so forth. Saddle? I'm away from ti flights and such like. More modern madison and selle italia.
If it's retro and boutique and it wears out, it may be irreplaceable, so I was thinking along those lines. Certain bikes have become so collectible now that I can't imagine ever seeing one out on the trail again. Some of the kit too, the NOS stuff has to run out one day. I can't imagine many people these days have a loft full of funky 3DV parts.

I don't have anything available anymore, so if I was to do this I'd be starting from scratch, which is a blessing and a curse at the same time. It's nice to see these suggestions anyhow.

But that's only certain people calling them boutique, early klien may have that tag, mainly as they are like jewels to some people and need so many custom parts.
Fats that you mention are just another steel frame, some people collect them, some give them to the recyclers.
but then some collect the Rocky Altitudes that I have and tart them up and don't ride them, some would class them as boutique. I ride them, scratch them, get the muddy, let my kids ride them. (and wife, who scuffed up an Ti Syncros post, I leave the zig zags in, next time I'll show her how a q/r works.)
My '91 can command a high price nowadays, but that thing used to go to school, do paper rounds, drop down 100ft quarries and loads of riding.
It still rides nice now and I'd still put it into daily rider mode if the Explosif wasn't there to do it.

Just ride them.
Don't worry about damaging them.
Plenty of others have museums, even then if like First Flight they may get sold off split up.
We only live once.

Each to their own though. Some collect great big effing old planes in their front lawn.

But that's only certain people calling them boutique, early klien may have that tag, mainly as they are like jewels to some people and need so many custom parts.
Fats that you mention are just another steel frame, some people collect them, some give them to the recyclers.
but then some collect the Rocky Altitudes that I have and tart them up and don't ride them, some would class them as boutique. I ride them, scratch them, get the muddy, let my kids ride them. (and wife, who scuffed up an Ti Syncros post, I leave the zig zags in, next time I'll show her how a q/r works.)
My '91 can command a high price nowadays, but that thing used to go to school, do paper rounds, drop down 100ft quarries and loads of riding.
It still rides nice now and I'd still put it into daily rider mode if the Explosif wasn't there to do it.

Just ride them.
Don't worry about damaging them.
Plenty of other have museums, even then like First Flight they may get sold off split up.

Each to their own. Some collect great big effing old planes in their front lawn.

I'd love an Altitude Pro Racer but they seem to be quite rare.

I don't think I'd be too worried about damaging a steel frame, but the same can't be said for Alu and apparently Ti, although I've never had a ti frame, just going by what I've read on here.

PS. You went to school on a Altitude? Nice.

Back