Orbit Gold Medal

Philtalks

Retro Newbie
Another project began during a visit to the MiL over the weekend. Something came up on eBay and after a bit of offer ping pong I bought it, collected it and got it home.

It’s an Orbit Gold Medal from the late 80s. Apparently made in Sheffield 58cm in 531c throughout (according to the seat tube decal).
IMG_1277.jpeg

It felt a bit heavy and draggy when I first rode it and it weighed in at about 11.3kg. Not that bad but still room for improvement so I looked first at the wheels - nutted hubs 700c with 28mm touring tyres. Out of curiosity I had a Mavic Aksium with a 25mm road tyre and slotted that in at the front as shown in the pic. Immediately down to 10.8kg. Nice, and clearly more to come from the rear wheel and maybe better quality brakes, saddle, stem, bars etc.

More curiosity (and a new hanging scale) so I weighed the others for comparison:
Raleigh Record Ace - bigger 61cm 531c frame in 1x7 with downtube shifters - 10.7kg
Claud Butler Criterium - 60cm in standard 531 in 3x9 with downtube shifters - also 10.7kg

That is really interesting because both the Raleigh and the Claud have decent wheel sets on and yet the Orbit matches up with some savings still to be made. I'm thinking of getting to 10kg and seeing how I get on with the more compact frame - the Raleigh has always felt just a bit too big.

Initial research suggests the Orbit is a touring geometry, for some reason made in 531c and then down-specced with lesser components, perhaps to meet a price point. That sounds like a great project recipe to me so here goes. It has a six speed freewheel with a huge long-cage Shimano RD.
IMG_1278.jpeg

Also it has a nice looking Stronglight 48/36 chainset - not quite a compact but could be interesting.
IMG_1279.jpeg

The brakes are shocking so will go very soon. I have some 600 Tricolor parts in the box and may snipe on eBay for some more to make the set.
IMG_1280.jpeg

There's a bit of surface rust so I may strip and powder coat, but that's a decision for another day. The frame has some nice details like the embossed seat stays so I'm looking forward to seeing how this comes up.

Exciting times - if anyone has more info on Orbit and the Gold Medal model then please share as I haven't found too much out there. Thanks for reading this far, I'll be back with more as the project rolls on.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Just tagging along for the ride, nice to see another build thread on the road section..

I've been very remiss in updating the thread so here is the summary of progress so far.

The frame is a great fit now that I have corrected the seat post that was set the wrong way around. Most of the running gear was stripped including the bottom bracket that needed a great deal of persuasion....

IMG_1283.jpeg

Fortunately the crankset I am using had a matching one so no real problem. As a first iteration is set up with a Campagnolo Veloce triple crankset matched to Dura-Ace downtube shifters and rear mech with a nine speed 11-28 cassette, modern 105 brakes and more period Shimano brake levers. Wheels are what I had in the shed, so a couple of Mavic Aksium and the saddle is a Charge spoon in tan with matching bar tape.

IMG_1285.jpeg
IMG_1286.jpeg
IMG_1287.jpeg

Many will consider that a lash-up of inconsistent period parts, but it rides brilliantly. It weighs in at around 10.5 kg and goes like stink.

IMG_1292.jpeg

This ride shot taken at Woodeaton near Oxford the other day. It really makes me smile - smooth and comfy and it just wants to ride fast. Strava times are very similar to my much more modern sub-9kg carbon bike.

I have started on a next phase plan following a couple of scary moments trying to catch another gear on fast descents. Maybe I'm getting old but that was a bit too much thanks. I have a pair of scruffy 105 5700 shifters so will spend some time on eBay gathering a compact crankset and matching mechs to go 2x10. I'll see how that runs because I love the simplicity of the current setup and the slim brake hoods are very elegant and feel good, but on rougher roads I find I'm hanging on but really should be in a different gear. I'll report back as that progresses.

Love it! Can't beat a bit of a retro-mod with added style. Are you looking for a modern/matching compact crankset or something a bit more traditional? I have a Stonglight impact 50/34 which is relatively modern but with nice traditional looks. I'm also in Oxfordshire if that helps!

Love it! Can't beat a bit of a retro-mod with added style. Are you looking for a modern/matching compact crankset or something a bit more traditional? I have a Stonglight impact 50/34 which is relatively modern but with nice traditional looks. I'm also in Oxfordshire if that helps!
Thanks for the thought, but I‘ve got a Shimano 5750 compact coming. It’s silver and has a slightly more open look than the more modern stuff so I’m hoping it fits in well. I have silver levered shifters on another bike that will be swapped onto this. The goal is to have 5700 Shimano in silver where possible, and maybe do something with the wheels. My son has some silver Aksiums that I might offer him a swap if I can twist his arm with beer. The frame might get powder coated in a dark charcoal grey when I get round to it. So many ideas, just got to start building now. Look out for me around Otmoor if you get over that way.

Great to see this! I've an earlier Gold Medal frameset sat in the shed waiting a build for my girlfriend - ideal inspiration.

Look forward to seeing the rest coming together.

I've got a 5600 braze-on front and 5700 short cage rear I'm about to sell, PM if interested, say £30 posted the pair.

I've got a 5600 braze-on front and 5700 short cage rear I'm about to sell, PM if interested, say £30 posted the pair.
Thanks hamster but I have both mechs in hand, and needed a GS mid cage to cope with the bigger cassette I have planned - legs aren’t what they used to be for climbing. Good luck with the sale.

this is a great build! Ive got an Orbit Pro waiting to be built up on possibly a 2x10 Campag/Shimano setup. Sourced a carbon Mizuno fork to slot in and save some weight too. Brown bar tape and saddle seems to finish off the paintwork in blue really nicely 👍

Back