Orange, potential little cracker?

Pointer":2jygqd8j said:
^crazy if true. I am almost more interested in the back story of how a bike like this gets into such a state! or rather what happened to the original owner!
I hope the new owner is on here and posts the restoration.

My guess would be.. son buys expensive bike. Maybe or maybe not realises it's broken and goes off to uni, moves out etc. and leaves bike at parents house. Jump forward 20+ years and son has no interest in bikes and parents want it out the garden as it's already been relegated from the shed. Son's says to just chuck it so off down the tip it goes. Not realising there is a bunch of middle aged men prepared to pay good money for such a thing.

legrandefromage":hthk6xbw said:
Thats a crack!

s-l1600.jpg

Drop of araldite and a good jubilee clip and jobs a goodun :facepalm: :LOL: :LOL:

gtturbo":1anmt6cb said:
Pointer":1anmt6cb said:
^crazy if true. I am almost more interested in the back story of how a bike like this gets into such a state! or rather what happened to the original owner!
I hope the new owner is on here and posts the restoration.

My guess would be.. son buys expensive bike. Maybe or maybe not realises it's broken and goes off to uni, moves out etc. and leaves bike at parents house. Jump forward 20+ years and son has no interest in bikes and parents want it out the garden as it's already been relegated from the shed. Son's says to just chuck it so off down the tip it goes. Not realising there is a bunch of middle aged men prepared to pay good money for such a thing.

Or it was nicked, stored and forgotten about, or nicked several times and dumped. Would anyone who bought or received a ti frame as a gift, or even rode one, just shrug it off out of lack of interest? I guess maybe a rich trust fund baby might, but their parents wouldn't have a used bike in their garden.

I'm plumping for nicked.

Re:

...coda to this...I was just going back from the wood with chainsaw and tools in a wheelbarrow and two guys passed along the village road. HUGE and VERY LOUD creaking. I thought BB but surely not...too loud. I put my hand up nicely and they stopped. 'Ah yes, the second guy said, I need to take it back to the shop. His GIANT road bike had a crack around 80 per cent of the top tube, absolutely adjacent to the seat tube joint. Bearing in mind this tube is in considerable inwards pressure, it was staying together. The ragged nature of the crack seemed to be holding things together whilst he sat on it - and he was Not Light. But the idea of total failure is just scary - which is what I said, nicely. I would not have ridden it another moment, but he said 'well, I've done a couple of hundred miles on it like this and it hasn't got any worse...'. We all smiled and laughed - ha ha ha - and I said - sucking teeth like a pro - I'd get it looked at. 'I guess I should' he said. And off he creaked.

Re:

Could easily have broken years ago, the owner kept it to get fixed or for sentimental reasons, moved from house, to garage, to shed and then finally dumped in the garden until the point they realised it was never getting sorted and was just a load of rusty parts on a snapped frame so off it went to the tip?

Re:

The amount of mid - high end bikes retro bikes which are in sheds/ garages forgotten is incredible. To most normal people these are just old bikes and next to worthless. Lockdown last year made lots of these surface as people cleared stuff out. Spend the time searching and you’d be shocked what comes up.

Trust me this isn’t a rare situation it’s just that rather than being sold locally it’s on eBay for a wider audience.

It’s not even cheap for a uncracked one really let alone a cracked one.

Re:

Yeah, agree, and although they have value to us they may not to the current owner if they have been sold on a few times.

Lovely Vitamin T costs the original owner £2000. They sell it for £1000, and then it sells for £800, then £600, then £500. Sits unused for 10 years and the owner decides to sell and is happy to get £200 for his old bike. New owner has a tatty old bike that cost a few hundred quid so when it snaps it goes to the tip.

Ultimately we are in the minority when it comes to knowing the value of M900 XTR, original Vit T frames and Pace RC30's. Ask my wife and she'd think it scrap.

Back