Orange P7 resto

stocko

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
It's been a while since I've done a build thread for a bike on here so after many years away I decided to get myself a 'new' lockdown project to give my mind a break from my day job of working in critical infection control.
I've always been a fan of Orange bikes,and used them for my xc race duties bitd,so found a good project P7 to get stuck into.

Upon receiving the frame,I could tell this was going to be more then a quick polish and build,and after 3 weeks of stripping,sanding and polishing it came up a treat. As always,retrodecals supplied some great quality pieces to attach to the frame.

received_1071195683292179.jpeg received_412052976743122.jpeg 20210207_212823.jpg 20210207_212830.jpg 20210207_212715(1).jpg 20210207_212852.jpg

It's been a while since I've done a build thread for a bike on here so after many years away I decided to get myself a 'new' lockdown project to give my mind a break from my day job of working in critical infection control.
I've always been a fan of Orange bikes,and used them for my xc race duties bitd,so found a good project P7 to get stuck into.

Upon receiving the frame,I could tell this was going to be more then a quick polish and build,and after 3 weeks of stripping,sanding and polishing it came up a treat. As always,retrodecals supplied some great quality pieces to attach to the frame.

View attachment 530579View attachment 530580View attachment 530581View attachment 530582View attachment 530583View attachment 530584
I’ve just got hold of a single speed p7 and it has similar rust issues! What’s the best way to tackle these? Can I literally just sand and polish it away?
thanks,
Jon

Here to also ask how you got the rust off and frame polished up so nicely?

Anyone have any advice for those of us without a fully stocked workshop?

Products; tools; process?

Wet and dry and patience?

Wax afterwards or clear coat?

Here's a quick breakdown of how I did it....
* workshop pic not mine but who I got frame from*

Anyway,it started out quite rough and set out first using fine wire wool with wd40 to remove the lacquer followed by 240 grit wet n dry paper again using wd40,working through different grades(480,800 and finally 1200). Thoroughly wipe clean then used autosol to a high sheen. Finally,clean and fit decals.
Will then use autoglym super resin polish to seal

I figured something along those lines.

Others here swear by the Spontex and GT85 method.

Others still have gone with paint stripper to get rid of the old lacquering.

I'm basically stockpiling approaches and techniques before something formally shiny arrives in the post, so I appreciate hearing all about the path you took!

There's many ways to go about it but I used to work as a metal finisher so used the 'lots of elbow grease' approach. Just need to find time to start building it!!

Because it seems disloyal to Orange, I guess. I actually started with a Dawes, but swiftly moved onto USA bikes since they were 'right' - Cannondale, Marin - but the moment the Tushingham and Orange bikes came along it seemed far better to buy domestic product (albiet the frames and components mostly came from outside the UK). But they FELT domestic - and nowhere seems more English than Halifax. But I continued to like what Marin was doing then. The ti and team were brilliant. Still are. And so while ORANGE was my port of call for years, I still had Marins in the stable. Now it's COTIC and STANTON, hurrah!

Back