Orange P7 e-commuter

Captain Stupido

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Right... I know e-bikes are neither retro, nor particularly popular among certain members of the forum, and I get the reasons why some people don't like them.

Pretty soon I am (hopefully) starting a new job which is a bit too far for me to comfortably commute by normal bike, especially given the hilly surroundings.

I could drive, I could probably get the train half way and ride the rest of the way, or I could get a motorbike.

Or I could do an e bike conversion and use that...

I'm torn between all the possibilities. There are some nice roads between here and my future workplace and the traffic shouldn't be too bad, especially if I use the lanes. So I'd like to be in a "fun" vehicle of one type or another. I'd also like the commute to be cheap and and low in environmental impact. Winter is likely to be a bit harsh, but if the worst comes to the worst I do have a car...

Anyway, assuming I go for the eBike option I'm looking at a Tongsheng TSDZ2 kit.

At the moment I'm considering 2 bike options. This is really where I'd welcome input on which way to go - first idea was to convert my Alfine-equipped Genesis Day One. The other thing I'm thinking about is building up an Orange P7 with rigid forks.

Both give me the option of disc brakes, which has to be a good thing. Both should be able to take mudguards and a rack. Both are steel and reasonably comfy. So it comes down to gearing and wheel size/overall geometry.

I expect the Genesis to be faster (and more efficient), the Orange to be a bit more planted feeling, forgiving of poor roads, etc. But maybe I'm wrong. I can't really decide. I'd quite like to have the Orange as an MTB, and I'm fairly bored of the Genesis...but on paper it's close to being an "ideal" commuter... On the other hand an electric P7 sounds pretty cool. Probably a case of either sell the Genesis to fund the build or convert/use it and keep the Orange for its intended purpose.

What do you guys reckon?

Last edited:
Not got a view but watching with interest. Been having similar thoughts but mtb for definite. Watched one climb a nasty single track near my place a couple of days ago and wasn’t too averse to the whole thing.

Ok, I just pulled the trigger on one of these while they’re still available at a decent price...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362917822400

I’ve decided to base this build on a grotty P7 frame I bought recently. I can’t really afford the battery right now so I might have to sell the Genesis to fund it... will start building up anyway and at least check there are no issues fitting the motor to the frame.

Frame arrived looking seriously rough - I probably overpaid given the condition... I’ve cleaned up the threads on it (not done BB or brake bosses yet) and given it a scrub with a kitchen scourer which has helped. I like a bit of patina, but there is a little bit of rust that I ought to poke at and check. Wish me luck...

Attachments

• BFA7B9BD-B03E-4B6B-A25A-AD654BD9679E.jpeg
    BFA7B9BD-B03E-4B6B-A25A-AD654BD9679E.jpeg
    358 KB · Views: 1,639
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I did a bit of research and it seems to tick all the boxes at a decent price. As an alternative Bafang motors are more established but this Tongsheng seems to have quite a few advantages. The 48v version is even better apparently but more money. One option is to hack the firmware which allows you to run at higher voltage. This guy’s done it. Quite a nice bike he’s got...

https://empoweredpeople.co.uk/2019/01/2 ... ve-system/

Good news is that I’ve cleaned up the worst of the rust on the P7 and the frame is all sound.

Had a bit of fun with my 6 year old son choosing parts for the build. I was dead set on stealthy all black but he had other ideas. Not sure about the saddle but otherwise I think I’m gonna go with it.

Attachments

• A4EA5C78-C08A-4F11-8547-0151A836905F.jpeg
    A4EA5C78-C08A-4F11-8547-0151A836905F.jpeg
    190.4 KB · Views: 1,581
Captain Stupido":chajhnuv said:
I did a bit of research and it seems to tick all the boxes at a decent price. As an alternative Bafang motors are more established but this Tongsheng seems to have quite a few advantages. The 48v version is even better apparently but more money. One option is to hack the firmware which allows you to run at higher voltage. This guy’s done it. Quite a nice bike he’s got...

https://empoweredpeople.co.uk/2019/01/2 ... ve-system/

Good news is that I’ve cleaned up the worst of the rust on the P7 and the frame is all sound.

Had a bit of fun with my 6 year old son choosing parts for the build. I was dead set on stealthy all black but he had other ideas. Not sure about the saddle but otherwise I’m gonna go with it.

Looks lovely. Like the black-gold-purple mix. Just need black or gold bars :D

I remember a while back there was a craze with these really cheap e-bike wheel kits and honestly they looked like death traps. What you've got still seems fairly budget friendly but sturdier and safer.

Front wheel arrived today. Had an email telling me it had been delivered. Courier apparently couldn't be bothered to ring the doorbell and just left it outside... oh well, it's here.

...then I got an email from DPD telling me the motor had been delivered. Exciting. Ran outside. Nothing.

Bit upset now...

Captain Stupido":33ia7x6f said:
Front wheel arrived today. Had an email telling me it had been delivered. Courier apparently couldn't be bothered to ring the doorbell and just left it outside... oh well, it's here.

...then I got an email from DPD telling me the motor had been delivered. Exciting. Ran outside. Nothing.

Bit upset now...

Postal services always manage to find a way to make me angry. Over here in Denmark our tracking system has been completely buggered, I've had parcels that left sender country and then returned and then left, then it gets stuck in some terminal. Hope your motor comes soon! :)

Back