Orange frame identification...E2 or E3?

• Thread starter Deleted member 75329
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 75329

Hello all

Sorry if I've put this in the wrong forum, I'm a newbie (and on that point, what does 'bump' mean is some of these threads? lol)

Can anyone help me correctly identify my frame? It was sold as an Orange E3. It had E3 decals that were original in my opinion and head tube for 1" steerer. However, based on a few threads I've read, on an E3 where the head tube and down tube meet, there should be an extra reinforced weld which is missing on my frame. Also I'm unsure whether the removable rear derailleur hanger was present on the E2 which it is on mine...

Could this mean I have an early E3? Or a late E2? Or a crossover

Any help appreciated, if only so I can be sure I put the correct decals back on it...

Cheers!
IMG_2005.jpg
IMG_2002.jpg
IMG_2003.jpg
IMG_2004.jpg
IMG_2006.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the changes between E2 and E3 weren't necessarily a cliff edge, and that there was some continuous improvement to the E2 that led to the E3. 95 would be about the break point between the two so I'd say its a late E2 that has the replaceable hanger but not made it to E3 levels of having the revised frame bracing.

Someone'll be along to disagree soon though, and my Orange-vision is much more focused on steel (because its better, obvs).

Think yours is a June 95 by the frame number.

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated. Quite like the fact its between an E2 E3 point. Might go with the E2 decals in that case!

Cheers!

The serial number would suggest E3 as it's a bit late for an E2 but the lack of a gusset defo points to E2 as that was one of the major improvements for the 3. I'd go 2 as well.

The E2 didn't last long as they were prone to cracking, as was everything else at the height of weight weenie-ism! Hopefully not but on the picture above yours has what looks like a crack right where the gusset should be?

Well spotted! Yes, its cracked! F*#K!

Just saved me a lot of time as I would have built this up and likely stuffed myself on a trail somewhere!

Ah well, think I'll move on to a 95 P7 build instead!

The serial number would suggest E3 as it's a bit late for an E2 but the lack of a gusset defo points to E2 as that was one of the major improvements for the 3. I'd go 2 as well.

The E2 didn't last long as they were prone to cracking, as was everything else at the height of weight weenie-ism! Hopefully not but on the picture above yours has what looks like a crack right where the gusset should be?
Yep! Cracked! Thanks for spotting. Just saved me a whole heap of time and energy doing this one...

S**t man, definitely E2 then lol
hope you're not too much out of pocket & at least it's shiny as a wall hanger...
Nah, not too bad! Good polishing experience gained at least. I've actually got some F7 forks and P7 frame on the way so I'll shift my attention to that!

Back