Open pro substitute?

You tend to get what you pay for with rims and hubs: avoid false economies- good wheels, well built are one of the few components that can really make a big difference in regards ride and reliability!

Im happy to spend where it's wanted but I want good value if you understand me. I have a tagalong on the back so there's extra weight so don't want to go too lightweight. What would you recommend?

I have no experience with a tagalong so can't recommend something specific to your set-up. I wouldn't think you will have any issues with a quality built 36h rim from Mavic/Ambrosio /H Plus etc. I've sets of hand built Mavic Open Pro and Ambrosio Excellight clincher wheels with both 32h and 36h rims on road bikes, built by Rourkes (Stoke), Pete Matthews (Liverpool) and built my own at Swallow Cycles Ironbridge using NOS Nisi tubular rims and never a problem and I'm 14 stone + . I've also used some cheapo Alex rim wheels on city commuter bikes and out of the box they aren't true and you can see poor manufacturing rim finishes (brake rub) etc. It depends I guess on how often you cycle etc, but good wheels do make a difference.

Great ok thanks, I've lots of good recommendations. I don't mind less than ideal shifting and other parts but wheels and bb HAVE to be smooth and working perfectly for me to enjoy riding.

Are they as tough just heavier? Says 23 max but would 28s be ok?
Open sports are pretty much visually indistinguishable from Open Pros, So if 28s are good to go on your open pros, they'll be fine on open sports.
(i've run 33s and 35s on open pros before now, no issues)

You may have it sorted by now but these people have 1 set remaining of a silver 36H Open Pro rim.

You may have it sorted by now but these people have 1 set remaining of a silver 36H Open Pro rim.
Just a word of caution as it isn't immdiately apparent. Despite the .co.uk web address, they are actually a German company so anything you buy is shipped in from the EU. I recently bought something from them, it arrived ok without any customs duty to pay but it did take a while to arrive.

Not only note oaklec's words of caution but just realised my link to Bikester's advert is for a tubular rim! Mea Culpa.

Yeah, the Ts are tubular, I nearly ordered them a couple of times. Gonna go for tb14s but haven't ordered them yet.

Back