Onza SPD's

emjay

Gold Trader
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
Just a quick question.

I'm thinking of buying a pair of Onza SPD's but I've never used them before, I've always had xt 737/747's, so I'm used to the "press on and click in" to engage, then twist to dis-engage.

Do the Onza SPD's use the same cleat, and so use the same technique?.

Cheers!

Different cleat, same basic technique, different feel, really not actually that good a pedal without some modifications/playing around with the elastomers. Variable release tension based on how gummed up they are and (allegedly) how cold/warm it is (i only ever used them in middle england, so never really got particularly hot or cold!!)
Easy to damage as well.

Stick with the xt's the bearings in the onza are pretty rubbish and elastomers were never Brill when new, I can't see 20 years in a box making them any better!

That said, they did look neat though and I ran them for a few yeas back in the 90's 😊 still have a really mangled pair in my toolbox

Really nice lightweight period pedals. I have them on all of my bikes. For the the time they were pretty much unique in having float. Mechanically they are very simple and it's easy to fix any issues.

But it is very difficult to get cleats for them so probably best avoided.

Back