BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Rocky Mountain Fan
Brodie Fan
Feedback
View
I bought this ages ago and hadn't got around to doing anything with it until fairly recently. I got my boy involved but he's not always that interested to tell the truth!

Alpinestars were one of the few companies who produced an off the shelf 26" wheeled bike designed with the shorter rider in mind, without compromising on wheel size or riding position. Here's the review, by Deb Murrell and Neil Simpson (who kindly sent me the scans), from the July 1991 issue of Mountain Biker magazine.

review p1.PNG review p2.PNG

Last edited:
Some additional pics which didn't feature in the July article.....

IMG_3940.JPG IMG_3941.JPG IMG_3942.JPG

Here's the bike as it arrived, back in early 2015 I think! It's mostly stock I believe, with a 300LX groupset. I don't remember if I bought it from Lynne @mamadirt or whether someone else owned it in between. Plans were to upgrade the spec list slightly, without going crazy.

IMG_3497.JPG

Excerpt from the 1991 Alpinestars catalogue

catalogue 91.PNG

Brodie getting involved with cleaning down the frame. It has a few scuffs and scrapes but still looks pretty good for a 30 year old bike

IMG_1536.JPG IMG_1537.JPG IMG_1538.JPG

Last edited:
The zero stack headset was feeling a bit rough but fortunately it was just a little overtightened and a bit dry. Nice to have the original bar, stem, seatpost and saddle still attached.

IMG_1539.JPG IMG_1540.JPG

The 300LX groupset was sold/given away and alternative options were considered. I bought some nos Gripshift for not much money and chose some slightly tatty Dia Compe SS4 levers from the spares bin. I figured both of these would be good for smaller hands, especially compared to the chunky original 300LX STI units.

IMG_1544.JPG

Back