NWA & NE&Yorks: Settle-Malham ~ 19/02/11 ~ AFTERMATH

Re: NWA & NE&Yorks: Settle-Malham ~ 19/02/11 ~ AFTER

Love how you can see the snowball I threw :)

drystonepaul":rc40o0sq said:
RB-Settle-Malham_03.jpg

The riders ~ LtoR: Charlieboy, HarryCrumb, Kev Duckworth, Woody, giant-one, elPedro666, beavis, kaya, mr_ship, brocklanders, saltyman, Rich Aitch, mrlee (hiding) and paininthe.

Always enjoy these write-ups, thanks Paul :cool:

Few things, I think this is understatement of the day:
The weather on the way up the motorway wasn't really living up to the pictures posted on the announcement thread

If I could just remind you of the advertising material:
w-071195-malhamtarnestate-property_image.jpg

..and the reality (pretty sure that's the same track):
RB-Settle-Malham_12.jpg

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

RB-Settle-Malham_09.jpg

Charlieboy in 'rides a modern bike on a retro ride' slur shocker!
Even more worthy of note though - CharlieBoy Smiling On A Climb Shocker!
I can only assume I've just gone face-first into the snow slightly out of shot!

RB-Settle-Malham_10.jpg

HarryCrumb packs his parachute for the return journey
Did anyone else feel Martin's pack (matron)? I could barely lift it! And still he can calmly chat away on the climbs while I gasp for breath... :evil:

Finally, the track began to point downwards and a great section of gravity assisted riding followed, as we ploughed and played our way through the snow.
Ploughed and prayed I think you meant :eek:

Another stop to regroup revealed that Edd wasn't the only one who was having trouble with his Syncros seatpost. This time mr_ship discovered a crack across the bolt hole on his Syncros titanium post.
Must apologise to Mr Ship at this point; I totally thought Martin was joking as he pointed out the crack, it being seconds after Ed's seatless arrival, sorry Rich!

And t'other Paul
Well off we went, me with my friend Gay Abandon
Pretty sure you were more than 'just good friends' by half way down that hill :shock:

then some Mr Lee for it is he! signalling frantically that something was ahead. A great thanks then to MrLee who had the foresight and wits that when it was/could have gone wrong he thought about those behind. I thank you.
Was this the frantic leg-waving manoeuvre? :? I thought he was just emptying his shorts... :shock: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Right enough of this, thanks again for a great day out, all done in true RetroEpic spirit, at one point I could barely ride for giggling uncontrollably as the bikes refused to track anything like straight and we all snapped out of line all over the place!

Last mention to Lee for turning up when he really should have been wrapped up in a warm bed convalescing, proper grit, top man :cool:

Almost feel ready for the Whinlatter Challenge now... :eek:

elPedro666":2m5944wy said:
Did anyone else feel Martin's pack (matron)?

No they did not, a Man,s pack is his own private kingdom :LOL:

The reason my pack was so heavy was because I had Woody stashed in there Yoda style
WoodyInMyPack-1.jpg

Re: NWA & NE&Yorks: Settle-Malham ~ 19/02/11 ~ AFTER

drystonepaul":1xsetvem said:
More importantly we had to decide on the bike of the ride...
With any bikes suffering broken seatposts or chains instantly discounted, this still left many strong contenders. The three ride leaders, Kaya, HarryCrumb and myself, stepped aside leaving the remaining choice still very tricky.
Eventually after applying a rule based on period correctness, previous winners, original features and pure whim there could be only one winner.

The 400LX equipped Bike of the Ride was agreed as Rich Aitch's Marin Bear Valley. The tyres and saddle may have been modern but the rest of the bike was completely original and in very good condition. Rich should also have been awarded a bravery medal for tackling the descents with plastic cantilevers...

Good condition comes from buying a bike off people who never used it! I'm pleased to achieve the honour though, although I'm sure that sitting at the right table in the pub helped too...

When I get more time I'll put some more detail on the page for the Bear Valley

Back