NukeProof rear hub bearing setup help.

Something like this perhaps?

bearing-shims.jpg

If you want to try that approach, I guess you have to find a decent shim supplier, then sit down with the hub measurements, and dimensions of common bearing sizes, and see what might work.

I had another go today, got it sort of working with the old bearing, shimming with wraps of tin foil and a washer behind it as the bearing to bearing distance is out as well (it has defined bearing stops on the axle, but seems to be missing a mm or 2 washer behind the drive side bearing before.

So put it in the frame and at a half lock quick release the wheel spun fine but is not held in the frame properly, given these axle are 9.5mm (or 3/8" really), clamp it up tight and it binds somewhere probably bearing inner and outer being pushed apart.

So thought I'd take the freehub off, except I found out there is a custom bearing holder that is held in place by the freehub bolt, that sits on the M737 freehub bearing race behind it.
Faff and a half bodge job these hubs. Are they really made like this.

So photo time @kingoffootball
Bearings are 3/8" ID, 7/8" OD and 9/32" width
The bearing holder is about 22.5mm possibly a bit more (7/8" of the bearing OD is 22.2mm)
1629993640175.png
1629993650581.png
1629993593102.png

Approx. layout as is
1629993739557.png
1629993708052.png

Yes, they really are made like that unless you have a later one with the proprietary freehub, they bodged a Shimano freehub I think.

So the bearing holder is a bit too large for the bearings and they need shimming, but that isn't wat's causing the binding, right?

Back