Not Such A Tired Old '91 Zaskar- Job Done! Pics Page 6 & 7

Re:

Well she's starting to come together at long last and resembles a bike a bit better now :D The Mag 21's arrived today so it was in with a NOS Deore DX headset (boy are those made to last....talk about oversize bearings lol) and got the cups and crown race pressed in and fitted. I even heated up the head tube with gf's hair dryer so that the cups would ease home a little easier and hopefully not stress the head tube too much :LOL:

Next was to fit all the cockpit components and think they've gone together well and all match up nicely. Got a real soft spot for thumbies so was instantly thrown back in time (27+ years :LOL: ) to when I had bought my first proper mtb remembering how much I liked my new shiny indexed gears and deore thumbies haha. Anyway, still keeping with the theme, also added a little sprinkling of some gold ti bolts here and there again too. Not 100% on the little Onza Stogies at the mo but really liking the GT Bicycle h/bar grips which were a NOS bargain :D Still need to cable up everything and hope to have the wheels done in the next week or so and crack on when time allows......

Re: Not Such A Tired Old '91 Zaskar- Front End Built + Mag21's

Ooof! That's a keeper.

Loving the use of DX here.

Looks great with syncros and onza parts. Can't wait to see it complete.

Is it crazy that I kind of like the old patina with just some slight clean up of the more rough areas? Kind of like a slight polish with some dullness..

Re:

That's looking lovely Ade, great work :cool:

Let me know how you get on with the Mags.

Cheers :)

Re:

wow you really nailed that build. props for tracing down and restoring a complete matching group and the right fork choice!

Re: Re:

wadsy":y2ul6k8b said:

Thanks Martin

The forks feel really plush and can't wait to try them out.... appreciate your time on them for sure. i'll let you know how I get on with them for sure :cool:

34henry3w":1nmcrrpv said:
wow you really nailed that build. props for tracing down and restoring a complete matching group and the right fork choice!

Many thanks :D

Really liking how it's coming together right now, wheels won't be long now too so a little more DX to go on the old girl :cool: . To think only a few months back it was virtually going to go in the skip....! :shock: Some people spend years sourcing and getting their builds together so I think I've been quite lucky on time scale. Was quite surprised too how I was still able to get some of the Deore DX as nos parts being as the groupset was only out for a handful of years before XT replaced it and first gen of XTR came out..... personally like the DX parts as you don't see too many builds with it on :D As for the forks.... I always wanted a pair back in the day! it's only taken me nearly 25 years haha :LOL:

abr303":10iu7vy8 said:
wadsy":10iu7vy8 said:

Thanks Martin

The forks feel really plush and can't wait to try them out.... appreciate your time on them for sure. i'll let you know how I get on with them for sure :cool:

:cool:

don't forget to set the air pressure ;)

Back