NOS tyres

FireMountain95":2runj4mh said:
Look awesome, only needed about 10-15mins of baking....
Bravo! My education costs weren't completely misspent! :p

Thanks for sharing. Science doesn't lie.

John Deere Ultra Guard works great, I use it on 19th century bicycle tires up through to my modern bikes. Tires that seem spent often are brought back to life.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 7.54.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 7.54.49 AM.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 109
I really don't fancy putting tyres in my oven, dispite the great results shown here (it's not my oven), so I've been looking for an alternative and found this thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,29707.0.html

Anyone tried Wintergreen oil? Interesting to read @Dami post about using a sauna 🤔
That thread talks about using solvents as a medium for the oil, I don't fancy that, but a heating them in a vat of water and wintergreen oil sounds pretty safe to me. I'll report back if I end up trying it.

PXL_20211023_123500864.jpg

After previously using the sauna tactics, I've found that the fastest and easiest way to get the dust like compound back into the rubber is to use a hot air gun to the surface. This will though work only on a otherwise flexy and healthy tires where the only issue is the dusty white surface. Takes only a few minutes to blow a pair of tires through, and won't compromise the tires as it takes only a really short blow on each part of the tire to get the surface 'clean'.

Just did this on a set of Michelin Wildgripper DHs and they turned out nice and fresh!

After previously using the sauna tactics, I've found that the fastest and easiest way to get the dust like compound back into the rubber is to use a hot air gun to the surface. This will though work only on a otherwise flexy and healthy tires where the only issue is the dusty white surface. Takes only a few minutes to blow a pair of tires through, and won't compromise the tires as it takes only a really short blow on each part of the tire to get the surface 'clean'.

Just did this on a set of Michelin Wildgripper DHs and they turned out nice and fresh!
My wife’s hairdryer worked a treat and adds that frisson of illicit use that folks get with the oven method. 100% recommend.

Before and after with a heat gun. P1010057.JPG P1010060.JPG P1010087.JPG P1010088.JPG

Slowly spun the wheel and held the heat gun 10-12 cm away, after the wheel had rotated 6 or 7 times the white stuff began to liquify and was absorbed into the surface of the tyre, the tyre never got hot, just warm to the touch, and you can see by the moulding hairs that no rubber was melted.

Last edited:
Pretty informative thread. For those sellers on eBay charging an arm and a leg for tires, perhaps the knowledge here can be used as a bargaining tactic by telling the seller the tires need work.

Back