No time for riding

kingbling

rBotM Winner
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I guess some of us all get to this point in our retro bike lives and it seems to have caught up with me. It's been over a year since I last turned a pedal :cry: . With a big garden to keep, other projects to work on and a year old Labrador to walk and exercise and work I literally have no time for bikes...

...the worst part of it is I'm not missing it I get plenty of exercise walking the dog and working and my creativity is satisfied with building/ working on other projects all which give me immense enjoyment, although I still feel an attachment to my bikes its not the same anymore I'm just inclined to see them as potential funds for other projects. Me and mrsbling have been getting into gardening over the lock down growing our own fruit & vegetables with a good deal of success and plan to grow more next year new planters to be made soil to dig more weeding its constant.

Disco needs his exercise everyday, needs playtime with me too. He has been a massive influence in my life and all decisions take him into consideration. I knew getting dog was going to be a big responsibility and I'm not one to shirk it he will have the best life I can possibly give him. It's not fair on him to leave him by himself for 3-4 hours if I'm off out riding and the missus is working away from home. I did consider the possibility of him being a trail hound but the effects it could have on him in the long term are not worth the risk like joint problems in his old age.

Some of you know that my wife is the main earner in our house and I'm not ashamed either I kept house did the DIY and everything else but since lockdown all that changed missus has had no work for 4 months and is starting to suffer from depression its pretty hard to watch your wife burst into tears with no warning and not being able to help her. she misses her work we tried having routines and keeping busy but for her its not the same being a clinic coder she's happier using her head rather than her hands and until the hospitals are in full swing its going to take a bit longer to get her back to work as she is self employed (the type that gets fuc*all help from the government). So work wise I'm doing all I can with odd jobs for people fixing lawn mowers fitting bathrooms, raised deckings on static caravans people are keeping me busy thankfully.

and then on to other projects I did start last year to up cycle old bike parts to make desk lamps plant stands seat etc and its something I enjoy and would like to see if I can take it further.

And then there are the cars I've always been a petrol head, I love my motorsport as much as I like watching the Gran tours, Classics etc. But as the wife wouldn't stand by the roadside for 2hrs to see a brief glimpse of a road race she will quite happily go along to a car show all day. Just before February I had the chance to buy a Subaru Impreza WRX STI JDM spec (import for those that don't know) The idea was to buy it fix it up and sell it well the first 2 parts of the plan went perfectly the 3rd not so good due to covid it wasn't selling and people where offering stupid money for it so I pulled the sale and parked it up... then a couple of weeks ago I decided to put it on the road it was a big mistake 286bhp 4wheel drive its a beast why would I want to sell it. Second point to keeping it they are becoming scarce my version was a popular choice as a donor for other scoobys so its going to increase in value as a modern classic I want to get it to concors standard and that takes time and money (see bikes hanging on the wall). Also the wife's MG midget she now wants a colour swap and engine conversion theres another 2 years (if I'm lucky) gone by . Oh and a Discovery 3 thats a hobby not just a car anymore.

Unfortunately for me I'm the only cyclist in the hamlet (am I even a cyclist now ?) and with no one to ride with or share the passion the love of bikes has died. So is it time for me to hang up the wheels sell everything and let it go. I always wondered if I got back into cycling for nostalgic reason and these have now been sated its not as fun anymore with the cancelations of Mayhem and Velo retro I really had nothing to look forward to, now if I'm feeling a bit meh I can take Disco out in the car, park up. go for a walk and pick blackberries go home and make some blackberry wine and feed the chickens.

If you read this all the way through well done and thanks sometimes its good to talk if only through a keyboard

Its good you have so many other things you have to do, and life is way too short, diverse and valuable to put all your time into just one thing. I don't think though that you have to sacrifice things, obviously other things are at the forefront of your mind at the moment but things go around, one day you might just feel like a nice little ride to get away or relax. Im sure though you will keep at least one bike anyway :D

And your wife should be eligible for the Self Employment Income Support Scheme. It is in its second phase now, from 21AUG to 19OCT and the payments are down to 70% but its still better than nothing.

Anyway, hopefully things pick up, and grow, and of course, don't forget a link to your upcycled projects for sale :cool:

mk one":2fnto7ut said:
Its good you have so many other things you have to do, and life is way too short, diverse and valuable to put all your time into just one thing. I don't think though that you have to sacrifice things, obviously other things are at the forefront of your mind at the moment but things go around, one day you might just feel like a nice little ride to get away or relax. Im sure though you will keep at least one bike anyway :D

And your wife should be eligible for the Self Employment Income Support Scheme. It is in its second phase now, from 21AUG to 19OCT and the payments are down to 70% but its still better than nothing.

Anyway, hopefully things pick up, and grow, and of course, don't forget a link to your upcycled projects for sale :cool:

I'm guessing their missus either went self employed too late or operates under a limited company structure (tax efficient, but very little support on offer from the various government schemes).

The lab is just the right age to start training as a trail dog....just saying :LOL:

I'll reply in full tonight, I just want to say that you're not alone here.

Longer term, things will improve, life will get back to normal and the passion will return. There is no harm in taking a break from any hobby.

Everyone has been affected in different ways by the pandemic. For some of us, the impact is only just coming through now.

Much love, Buddy.

Im sure though you will keep at least one bike anyway :D

at least 6 maybe 7 :LOL: for sure there are 3 that the missus has convinced me not part with as they were in someway presents from her and she doesn't want me to get rid of them all. :)

I'm guessing their missus either went self employed too late or operates under a limited company structure (tax efficient, but very little support on offer from the various government schemes).

You're spot on there with the latter, the recommended way by the accounts :roll:

Longer term, things will improve, life will get back to normal and the passion will return

Thanks I'm confident things will in prove just remaining steadfast is all I can do for now. Don't get me wrong I still have a passion for cycling but not for bikes so much I got to the point of building bikes for the sake of building look at it for a bit get bored and build another, here's a thought do you think that an element of obsession has burnt out my interest ?

if you feel like a bike again, there will always be some around.

I'll still float about on here and probably turn up to Mayhem as a spectator just for the crack and I'll need an out let for all my tat anyway :LOL: :LOL:

Me again. Sorry. Please don't think anything I'm putting here is meant as a 'poor me', I'm just trying to illustrate a point...

The pandemic has affected everybody differently. Some people have been quite unfortunate, ranging from loss of loved ones, unemployment, and serious long term challenges. Genuinely life changing.

Others (and I'm in this boat) have had smaller, more subtle changes to 'normal' and initially, it wasn't too bad. I work in a field that is heavily involved in the response, so for me, work has been insane. My wife has been working from home, and due to me having to *really* avoid contact with people due to work, we've pretty much not seen anyone in 5 months. We put on a brave face "it could be worse" muddle on and keep going. We're both fully aware of what this is doing to us, and it's not good. The longer it goes on, the worse it will be.

Luckily, we have a great relationship, and can support each other. Clive, your missus sounds epic!

I've cycled about 5 times since march. No mayhem also was a kick in the nuts, no holidays etc. I'm working long hours (and currently 7 weeks straight with only a few days off) and my enthusiasm is at an all time low.

Poor me? not at all. But I'd be lying if I said I was doing well!!!

We're all allowed to feel like this. It's normal to feel like this sometimes, and we are all leading different lives.

IN the meantime, don't be afraid to seek help, your GP will be sympathetic to how you're feeling. Keep posting here too. Don't sell anything. Not a thing. Pack it away in the loft so you can't see it. When the passion returns it'll be like Christmas.

Peace :)

Hello Clive. Only met you a couple of times, but (& I think a few on this forum might feel the same) my life is all the better for it.
Keep your chin up... this sh*t can’t last forever....

You are not allowed to not at least come to mayhem at least.

You are not alone. I’ve been at home since March, burgled, Bike’s nicked, nursing the boss, furlough, decorating, dog walking, rarely riding more than a couple of miles and rarely at that.

Where are you Clive? Can’t be that far.

As for Steve, keep on keeping on, we’re going to need you. Mayhem will return. My annual pilgrimage and oasis of calm.

We happy few, we band of brothers.

Back