Nishiki Alien ACX

mynchiboy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Re:

Yep, sadly another one with borked head tube. Repairable though in the right hands!

Just contacted the seller to give them a friendly heads up... It's a shame as it's otherwise a lovely example :)
 

incorrigible

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Re:

I'd buy it just so I can match the paint and the decals for a couple of rebuilds that I have in the queue, but seller won't sell to USA (although I haven't messaged seller to confirm).

If I could, I'd offer him £250.00 in spite of the crack. The XT parts alone are probably worth that much.

Can one of you guys get this for me? Check my feedback; I'm good for it.

If it's true that this is in "original condition", then the stories I've heard of metallic bits in the black paint are likely just rumors (sorry, "rumours" ;) )
 

Retro Spud

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Go for it Frank

It’s a bit of a trek but from Gloucester but happy to take a mosey on up there - could do cash of collection if it helps sweeten the deal

Spud
 

Minifreak

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Re: Re:

incorrigible":1siculvp said:
I'd buy it just so I can match the paint and the decals for a couple of rebuilds that I have in the queue, but seller won't sell to USA (although I haven't messaged seller to confirm).

If I could, I'd offer him £250.00 in spite of the crack. The XT parts alone are probably worth that much.

Can one of you guys get this for me? Check my feedback; I'm good for it.

If it's true that this is in "original condition", then the stories I've heard of metallic bits in the black paint are likely just rumors (sorry, "rumours" ;) )

I have a nicer elevated chainstay bike coming up if you don’t get this one ;)
 

incorrigible

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Retro Spud":z9bpd54n said:
Go for it Frank

It’s a bit of a trek but from Gloucester but happy to take a mosey on up there - could do cash of collection if it helps sweeten the deal

Spud
Thanks Nick! PM sent
Minifreak":z9bpd54n said:
I have a nicer elevated chainstay bike coming up if you don’t get this one ;)
Thanks for the reminder, Tim. PM sent.
 

danson67

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
so I can match the paint and the decals for a couple of rebuilds that I have in the queue,
If I could, I'd offer him £250.00 in spite of the crack...
If it's true that this is in "original condition", then the stories I've heard of metallic bits in the black paint are likely just rumors (sorry, "rumours" ;) )

What stuff do you need for colour and decals, Frank?
I have my black ACX hanging up still, cracked (natch :)) and I haven't got around to repairing it yet.
I offered him £300, and pointed out the crack, and he didn't bite for me either, siuppose it paid off for him in the end...

Oh yes...the black paint is indeed very, very slightly metallic.

All the best,
 

Retro Spud

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
Feedback
View
It’s now in the trunk of my car now - awaiting shipping to Frank


Mike the sellers had it from new and had a punch of original docs - including the catalogue and flyer from the now long gone shop in the Lake District

its a time capsule and in remarkable condition, if only it wasn't cracked it would be a real corker
 

incorrigible

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
danson67":38kdepat said:
"What stuff do you need for colour and decals, Frank?
I have my black ACX hanging up still, cracked (natch :)) and I haven't got around to repairing it yet.
I offered him £300, and pointed out the crack, and he didn't bite for me either, siuppose it paid off for him in the end...

Oh yes...the black paint is indeed very, very slightly metallic.

All the best,
Dan,
Thanks for the offer. I remember talking to you about this a few years back and I had been meaning to follow up once I had all the parts and info necessary for a pristine rebuild. I bought a (yet another) red ACX off of eBay recently, and the seller said he could make decals for me. He also gave me a great deal on a complete Pantone color book (an older, used version) so I can match the decal color exactly. I had also been planning on contacting stickermaster gil_m here once I had some good info to go by.

As for the paint, I imagine you had to perform some trial and error to be able to match the correct amount of shiny bits (metallic? pearl?) in the paint. I have another black ACX that's had the decals taped off and re-sprayed jet black, so I was never really sure what the correct color was until I read this (the decals on that one were quite faded, unfortunately). So, yes, I'm very interested to match the paint. I know that auto paint shops can match solid colors and perhaps candy colors, but I don't know if they can match specially mixed metallics or pearls like this one must be.

I know I've been rather sparse in my posts due to my schedule, but in this case it appears there are many people who want to know what the original paint and decals are, so I want to be able to share as much as possible as soon as possible as long as I'm not stepping on someone's toes. As an example, the eBay guy who can make decals might not want to share the raw file (pdf, jpg, etc) with me, but will definitely sell me or anyone else as many decals as they want. Naturally I'd want to give gil_m a crack at these decals as well, as you can't swing a bike frame on this forum without hitting someone who recommends him. :LOL: (There exists an expression involving cats, but I know many of you are cat-lovers, so I decline to use it here, although I'd personally much rather be hit by a cat than a bike frame).

I read somewhere here that you can weld aluminum. Do you think there's a way to repair Nishiki 7005 aluminum frames so that they don't crack? Perhaps using thicker-walled tubing? Naturally, gussets and sleeves can be installed to strengthen a frame, but then it will never look original. On the other hand, replacement tubing can be welded in place of the broken parts, but if it's the same tubing, same thickness, etc, would it not just crack again? It would be great to repair those Nishiki frames so that they look original, but are stronger than original. I'm very interested in your opinion on that.


Retro Spud":38kdepat said:
It’s now in the trunk of my car now - awaiting shipping to Frank


Mike the sellers had it from new and had a punch of original docs - including the catalogue and flyer from the now long gone shop in the Lake District

its a time capsule and in remarkable condition, if only it wasn't cracked it would be a real corker
Nick! Thanks very much! I owe you big for this one. Not too many folks would drive as far as you did to get someone else a bike, and I'm going to see to it that the whole RB community benefits one way or another, whether by paint matching, decals, or uploading those original docs.

Please keep me in mind if you need anything of the bikish variety stateside. In face I should reiterate that message of thanks to the RB community as a whole because I never would have been able to get even half of the bikes in my collection if it weren't for all you equally fanatic RB afficionados.

Normally I'm in no hurry to get a bike frame delivered, as I prefer safety over speed, but in this case we don't really need to worry because - Hey! - it's already broken! Yay! :LOL: But seriously, take your time - no hurry on my part, especially since you've already gone above and beyond what I'd feel comfortable asking anyone to do to get me a bike. I AM quite glad that you volunteered, though.

Cheers and Beers to all!
I'll be waiting by my mailbox...
pacing back and forth...
thinking happy thoughts, :LOL:
Frank
 
Top