newer Judy fork won't fit on front axle...

ummagumma

Retro Newbie
I just bought a (used) replacement for my '96 Judy SL ( can't complain, I got 20 years out of it! )

but the sides of my WTB front axle are rubbing against the fork dropouts now...did they change the standard front axle diameter size, or something?

newer fork is a slightly different model, has a full oil bath rather than the elastomers

pics of the newer one:

joody.jpg

joody2.jpg

I could grind off some of the legs but I wonder if there is some sort of adaptor I can use, or something?

thx!

MTB front wheel axles have been 100mm (as standard) for as long as I can remember. Same with the forks. I don't see any reason why they shouldn't fit unless the ends of the hub are massive in diameter and that's what's causing the rubbing?

Have you got another front wheel that you could try?

interesting...and the other judy's fit on there fine

here is a better pic:

the wheel will spin when the QR is not tight, but there is less than a hair of space there

001.jpg

but when I snug the QT it won't spin...hub flanges are pinched against the legs:

002.jpg

come to think of it, I believe I have seen other pics of this style Judy for sale, with some material chiseled out down there. so this must be a fairly common occurrence

what a drag, this is a really good front hub. I have the greaseguard gun for it & keep it lubed regularily....it has been bulletproof over the years

hmm...I suppose I could slip a couple washers over the axle, to space the legs out?

kind of a ghetto solution though

Then the legs won't be parallel. not good.

And fwiw, this has been a problem with several fork/hub (and disc/fork/caliper) combinations.
if you are dead set on this combination, half a mm off the fork leg and some touch up paint would be the best solution.

Had the same issue with a Nukeproof hub and an RC35 K I wanted to combine. I'd say change the hub or whole wheel if your set on using the forks. The dropouts are made a certain thickness for a reason.

ok, good to know it is not totally uncommon

I think I will sell the fork & track down another old Judy replacement. fork was cheap, wheel was expensive :D

thx everyone! much appreciated

Back