Newbie with a Dave Lloyd Concept 90 Deda Zero?

cyclopath

Retro Newbie
Hi all first post here.

Recently purchased a Dave Lloyd. Concept 90 model I suspect but not in Reynolds 753 tubing. Its in Deda Zero heat treated 18MCDV6 with a mix Campy group.

Tried to google for more info but would only get those in the 753. Also the top tube doesn't seem to be sloping like other Concept 90s.

Have not tried to email Dave. Not sure if he would respond seeing that he has moved on since the days of bike building.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking in.

Re:

Welcome to the forum.

That's a great looking bike, and I hope to add a Concept 90 to my stable at some point in the future. I am totally jealous.

I have been told that Dave is unlikely to respond, and I know another forum member is currently trying to get in touch with him, to talk about Concept 90 bikes, but you never know your luck.

I have a Cats Wiskas made of Deda zero and as all Dave's bikes were custom made, the spec's and dimensions will have been chosen to suit the original owner.

Have a look under the bottom bracket shell, there should be a frame number stating LL. The first two digits of that number will tell you the year of manufacture, my Cats is from 92.

Re:

Thanks for the reply Neil.

My Concept looks to a 96. I've send Dave an email. Might as well give it shot.

What would one of these custom DLs cost back in the day? I assume they were sold frame/fork only or ride away?

I asked Dave in the email when he switched from Reynolds to Deda. Would you know when or why?

Cheers

Re:

I have a 92 Lloyd brochure which lists price options for 531C, 653, 708, 731 OS, 753, Columbus SL, SLX, TSX, EL, MAX, so I guess Deda was just something he also added when in discussion with a customer.

At that time a Concept 90 in 753 was £725.

Re: Deda Zero

Deda zero was not around for very long. Most frame builders found it fragile and hard to work with. I have a mid 90's Lazzaretti made with Deda zero with an oval shaped downtube. You can squeeze the downtube between your fingers and feel it flex. Mine is fillet brazed not lugged and is very light at less than 1700 gr. It rides very stiff and almost feels like an aluminum frame. It's not one of my favorite bikes and gets little use, I much prefer my lugged Columbus SL Bertoni from the late 80's.

Re:

Did you receive a reply from Dave Lloyd at all? I've a 'mystery' Concept 90 and as NeilM mentioned posted a topic http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=292279 which you might be interested in. Didn't hear back from Dave unfortunately so I'm still wondering why someone would have requested one minus most of the braze ons etc or what type of tubing it's made from. Does yours have the LL prefix before the frame number? Looks lovely by the way! How does it ride?

Back