Newbie - 1990 Kona

Mattn501

Retro Newbie
This is my first ever post and I’m brand new to all this so apologies in advance for any stupidity which will no doubt occur at some point!!!

Back in 1997 I bought a second hand 1990 Kona Cinder Cone, which, as a teenager I frankly ruined by ‘upgrading’ various parts. Every pound from my Saturday job went on the next component, but looking back it was perfect before I messed around with it! I sold it in 1999 for £100 - to this day my biggest regret. I’ve been promising myself for years I will put the error right by buying a retro Kona, ideally a Cinder Cone. So, Recently I saw an excellent example on eBay (1990 CC) but I suspect it’s overpriced at over £600, so I’m looking at a Lave Dome instead. I realise this was the cheaper model, but I don’t think I will notice a significant difference between the Suntour X1 and XCD (not least because it was more than 20 years ago I sold the bike) and the riding experience is surely broadly similar? I’ve found a nice one which required little work to restore but don’t want to regret holding out for a CC. Any advice or thoughts from members who have vastly more experience than I would be appreciated.

There are a lot of silly chancers on eBay. Pop up a wanted here and oen is sure to come along. Impeccable choice of bike by the way!

And welcome! :cool:

Re:

Many thanks... I didn’t even realise that was possible! I’m going to go for the Lava Dome anyway, AND see if there is a CC looking for a new home via Retro Bike. The worst case scenario is I get two bikes!

Most years the Lava Dome had an identical frame to the Cinder Cone anyway. The only difference was in the parts decorating it.

Like above, they shared the same frame.

I have a '93 Lava Dome frame i am going to be selling cheap unless your looking for a complete bike.

Thank you for your replies. It’s really a 1990 Cinder Cone that I’m after as I’ve regretting selling it for 20+ years now! I haven’t seen too many around, but there is a mint condition one available for £500 which I’m tempted by, but honestly have no idea whether that’s a fair price? I was bidding on a Lava Dome this morning but unfortunately missed out... probably meant to be, after all it’s the CC I covet really.

Mattn501":2dbve0zr said:
Thank you for your replies. It’s really a 1990 Cinder Cone that I’m after as I’ve regretting selling it for 20+ years now! I haven’t seen too many around, but there is a mint condition one available for £500 which I’m tempted by, but honestly have no idea whether that’s a fair price? I was bidding on a Lava Dome this morning but unfortunately missed out... probably meant to be, after all it’s the CC I covet really.

Prices are high at moment due to demand.

Though i am a big Kona fan i think the prices some are advertised at are very high, at least in comparison to prices last year. £500 would have got you a nice Kona Explosif, a nice '90 Cinder Cone would have cost around £150. If it was me i would wait, after all you have waited this long, prices are already starting to drop back down.

Have to remember that people are also after a usable bike as well as a bit of nostalgia so prices are higher for complete rideable bikes, if you really wanted one right now the cheaper route would be to buy a frame and fork and source the parts, which used to be dearer but should now work out cheaper.

Just had a quick look and the last '90's Cinder Cones to sell went for £200 downwards, which though still high is a lot closer the mark.

Latest posts

Back