New pics! Help Identifying Marin Palisades MTB

Re:

There is an extensive thread on the serial numbers here.....

....viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37430

Dont be surprised if nothing fits as each year brought different issues. Nothing was truly fixed. I've lost count the amount of arguments I've had with people that follow
the supposed logic of model numbers. Or, build style features. Only the Taiwanese guys can truly answer why inconsistency exists.

Kept me interested for 28 years though!

Re:

Thanks!
Have seen that thread and read through it. Didnt find anything matching my serial number though.
Seems fairly inconsistent, as mine starts with 9 and palisades “is” 7.
We’ll see how many years it will keep me interested. Haha :)

Re:

Curious to why i cant find my bike in any catalogue. Some original reference photos would be awesome!
Does anyone know why they did the splatter paint on some of their bikes? Was it limited edition or something like that?

Kona distinguished themselves in the late 80’s with splatter finish on the Cindercone and I think the Explosif.

The thing which might be misleading you is the year. Marin were a very efficient company at that time. Taiwanese manufacture was gearing up. A frame could be made in 1990 but be for the 1991 season release. Marin used solid colours to 1990 I believe (the Palisades typically was blue to that point) and splatter finish appeared in the ‘91 catalogue:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=319678

Splatter was probably for a different market or a special edition - there are other differences in other years too

the 92 Rocky Ridge had black decals in the UK catalogue and Red in the US as well as different seatposts and rims

You would need to find a catalogue relevant to the market it was released in

Re:

The splatter paint is found in mid to northern Europe. Where the uk and other stocked the single flat colour, red, blue, etc...or the notorious zolatone. Light grey for 1990 and darker, coarser finish for 1991.

By 1992 things got easier to identify and , for me, more attractive. Certainly my favourite year for marin.

Re:

Interesting! Thanks so much for all the info, really appreciate it!

Also my stem and bar is black, whereas all the other splatter painted bikes have coloured/splatter painted bars and stem.

The search goes on! :D

Back