new member + old bike project

madcyclist17

Retro Newbie
hi there, I`ve been lurking on here for ages reading build threads but only just signed up. Just thought I would share my project with you guys, no pics yet but im rebuilding a old Raleigh, it was badly resprayed with some cheap blue wilkinsons gloss spray paint wich im removing parts of but im keeping a lot of it, ill explain why soon in a bit, I don't know what model it is, all I know is that its an old Raleigh possible 80s? im rebuilding it little by little with parts that ive either got in my parts bin or were very cheap, its going to be a sort of rat/beater/tourer bike ! on the 15th of july me and a friend will be leaving our hometown on our very cheap bikes and cycling to chester, where we will stay on a campsite for two days the continue to cycle to flint, prestatyn, rhyl, pensarn, Llandudno and cricieth, we will ride back to prestatyn from cricieth and get the train home from there, so far ive completely stripped the bike and taken off what blue paint I wanted off, cleaned the shifters, cleaned and serviced the derailleurs and bottom bracket, put a crankset I had in my parts bin on, put some v-brake callipers onto the bike as I felt the old cantilever brakes wich worked fine, I just felt that some v-brakes would be better for our ride, ive temporarily installed some wheels and put a new chain on, ive put the forks,stem/handlebars back on with new bearings in the headset, ive reinstalled the original brake levers and grips, ive also installed a cheap pannier rack that I pulled off a Carrera subway that was only fit for parts (cracked on downtube and seat tube), the bike is only in rolling form right now and its a long way from being done, but hopefully itll be done a little before the 15th july ready for our big ride ! ill upload pictures really soon (ive lost the cable to the camera while I was doing a mock pack up of our camping stuff), thanks for reading this post :)

Welcome to the site, another lurker joinging is always good.

A lot of fans of Raleigh on here, looking forwarding to seeing some photos.

coomber":f43br38h said:
Welcome to the site, another lurker joinging is always good.

A lot of fans of Raleigh on here, looking forwarding to seeing some photos.

having a few issues with cameras right now so photos could be quite a while :evil:

Latest posts

Back