New bike - would you choose disc or rim brake ?

In a similar dilemma, but nothing critical and not that worried.

I'm not that convinced disk is that future proof. There's a tendency to mess about with everything today, one minute frame fittings work with available parts, next minute either the parts cease to be made or the frame fittings change again.

At least with rim brakes you know where you stand, parts will be available for time to come, and there are bargains to be had as fashion moves on.

I'd say the brifter is the most critical part to stock up on regardless. For me it feels you get caught out by either the brake technology or the incessant "adding one extra sprocket". There are also ceramic rims of course which last a long time.

I really love the look of cantilevers from ‘94-96. The black LX M565’s with white lettering are sexy and I so covet all of the anodized boutique billet goods that are just as shapely and bizarrely ”innovative” as the frames from those years . And the assortment of fancy cable hangers and brake boosters dazzles me like sprinkles on a donut.

Admittedly, I tried V-brakes for the first time this year. The recent realization that canti’s are truly awful genuinely deeply saddens me. V’s grip so incredibly well but are so ugly, comparatively. The tall narrow profile of V-brakes, regardless of make, is repulsive. It’s like watching an electronic keyboard vs the circus band organ that is cantilevers.

My daughter has a Specialized with hydraulic discs. They are buttery smooth with modulation reminiscent of my motorcycle. But keeping the squeaks at bay from the discs has become a never ending chore. The discs taunt me relentlessly with incessant squawks. Constant cleaning and frequent pad changes are infuriating.

All that being said, Magura hydro rim crushers….that’s f-ing Heaven right there….

Last edited:
Rim, I've tried to love discs but I don't. I've had three bikes with discs, Rockhopper Pro Avid hydraulic, Tricross Avid cable, Crux E5 105 hydraulic. They all squeaked and squawked. I had to ride through whatever water I could find to get them to clear and stop the noise from the mud and grit. The rubbing 🤬

My wife actually commented out riding that you shouldn't have to do that, especially on an off road bike. She is of course correct. It's a divisive subject, ride what makes you happy.

P.S. I love down tube shifters :)

I really love the look of cantilevers from ‘94-96. The black LX M565’s with white lettering are sexy and I so covet all of the anodized boutique billet goods that are just as shapely and bizarrely ”innovative” as the frames from those years . And the assortment of fancy cable hangers and brake boosters dazzles me like sprinkles on a donut.

Admittedly, I tried V-brakes for the first time this year. The recent realization that canti’s are truly awful genuinely deeply saddens me. V’s grip so incredibly well but are so ugly, comparatively. The tall narrow profile of V-brakes, regardless of make, is repulsive. It’s like watching an electronic keyboard vs the calliope that is cantilevers.

My daughter has a Specialized with hydraulic discs. They are buttery smooth with modulation reminiscent of my motorcycle. But keeping the squeaks at bay from the discs has become a never ending chore. The discs taunt me relentlessly with incessant squawks. Constant cleaning and frequent pad changes are infuriating.

All that being said, Magura hydro rim crushers….that’s f-ing Heaven right there….

Yup. Road type frames with cantilever studs are my favourite for being versatile. There are mini-Vs too which are suited to drop-bar STIs.

1697623872295.png

Have been giving this some more thought lately.... I think I am going to look for another frame, something new and ti would be nice, but I think first I will see what I can find in a "classic modern" option, if that makes sense. So, something along the lines of a colnago c50/59/60, time vxr/vxrs/vxs, look 585, etc....

I recently got a used disc road bike. Reason was I live on a pretty steep hill and literally couldn't slow down in the rain (and it rains here a lot.)

Never dealt with road disc before, lots of fud on the internets. I didn't like the bulky 785 shifters so upgraded to the ultegra 8020. Hoses were too short so fixed that while in there. Turns out my stash of mtb bits work completely fine with these shimano hydraulics, barbs, hose, brakes, etc. Its all mtb stuff.

Additional while in there, the bike came with a giant 785 caliper with postmount to is adapter. I ended up using an xtr IS caliper that'd been on a bin for more than 10 years. Direct mount to frame. 140mm rotor is more than fine on a road bike.

I went in knowing nothing but after dealing with the stuff I think its engineered well and I think support for road hydraulic is going to be around for a really long time.

There's a weight argument that can be made but it would take some serious sort of special for me to consider buying another caliper braked bike.

D800_01-58-01.jpg

The simplicity of the Bicycle was it's major appeal. manufacturers have ruined this with their quest to improve & complicate such a wonderful machine.
I have been upgrading my Ultegra 6800 equipped road bike to R8000 series groupset (handing the 6800 down onto my commuter) but what a mistake. The new fr mech is an utter ball-ache to setup, likewise the 'shadow' style modern rear mech is completely unintuitive. Ideally you need to lie on the floor under the mech to set the cable & use the stop screws. Progress? Nah.

So to summarise, keep it simple & old school.

Back