New bike project. Claud butler 1980s

Drifterjoe

Retro Newbie
Hi
First post on the forum.

I've just bought a 1980s claud butler sovereign . I'm trying to decide what to do with it. I'm thinking of changing the wheels to something modern like halo retro and then just cleaning it up. Just want something that will be enjoyable to ride. Not an immaculate show bike.
I have a 1984 Raleigh sprint that I ride and enjoy but its had a respray by the previous owner and I wanted my own project with original paint and 531 tubes.

I'd be happy to stick with six speed if I could avoid cold setting the frame. But not sure if I can get some modern wheels that will fit??? Or do you think I should refurb the wolbers?

Also can anyone help me with the date. The number under the BB suggests 1985 but from Google searches the sovereign was only made in 1981??? Also to complicate things apparently the sovereign was produced in bronze not red???
It all looks original and the person I bought it from has had it from new apparently purchased in 1982.

Let me know what you think, and what would you do with it to get the best out of it?
So far its cost me £110
Cheers
Joe

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200718-160356_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200718-160356_Gallery.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 387
  • Screenshot_20200718-160525_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200718-160525_Gallery.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 388
  • Screenshot_20200718-160534_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200718-160534_Gallery.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 388
  • Screenshot_20200718-160614_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200718-160614_Gallery.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 388
  • Screenshot_20200718-160628_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200718-160628_Gallery.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 388
Re:

Lovely bike, imo if the original wheels will turn smoothly with new bearings and grease I would keep it as is. It even looks to have wide ranging gears, and a good condition chain (although check for stretch).
Only thing I would change would be the tires, they look old and new tyres are so much better, they're lighter so the bike feels more responsive, and they have more grip. This is where you may run into problems, I don't know what size wheels it has, or if it has a hooked bead seat. Modern tyres will not seat well on non hooked rims, so if they aren't hooked you may have to look into some new wheels.

Hello Joe, and welcome to the forum.

Yes, this one is a bit mysterious.... definitely 1985 Holdsworth frame number, we have overwhelming data to back this up, & yes we also only have it appearing as advertised in 1981. (Still hunting that elusive 1983 catalogue)
There has been the odd anomaly like this before, (frame production number not matching the sale/advertised year)
Fork Reynolds decals are post 1983

The Wolber 58’s were/are a quality 27” wheel, I run Schawlbe Active tyres on mine;
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274426502713

Btw the head tube Olympic ring badge looks (viewed on my phone mind) like the last version used by Marlboro circa 1986-87. I’m wondering if this was one of the many frames that were “received” by Marlboro after Holdsworth went bust? But then it does have the Holdsworthy laurel leaf decal at the bottom of the seat tube... perhaps Holdsworth were planning to re-introduce the Sovereign for 1986 and produced some before going into receivership?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Hi guys
Thanks for the replies. What is also strange is that when you google Claud Butler sovereign you get lots of images of identical frames as mine. Same decals and red paint. Hardly any in bronze???

I think I'll refurb the wheels and use it as a comfortable cruiser. Then I'll take my other bike and coldset it to get some modern wheels and 9 speed set up for fitness riding and commuter racing my fat mates on thousands of £s worth of carbon.

Re:

Forgot to say, modern brake pads and cables (inner and outer) make a massive difference to braking. When I did this on my bike it honestly felt like I had installed entirely new brakes, definitely worth the few quid it costs.

Back