Mystery frame ID help

A further update... this has been hanging on the wall of my shed since early September while I try and scrape the cash together to have it refinished. I've finally managed to send it off to Mercian (who are pretty sure it's one of theirs) and as well as refinishing it, they'll be adding various braze on fittings to it. I'll start a build thread for anyone who's interested. All I need to do now is find some money for components...

A further update... this has been hanging on the wall of my shed since early September while I try and scrape the cash together to have it refinished. I've finally managed to send it off to Mercian (who are pretty sure it's one of theirs) and as well as refinishing it, they'll be adding various braze on fittings to it. I'll start a build thread for anyone who's interested. All I need to do now is find some money for components...
A great decision! Keeping the frame and the fork together was essential and now a quality refurb. What colour scheme are you going for?

A great decision! Keeping the frame and the fork together was essential and now a quality refurb. What colour scheme are you going for?
It'll be refinished in pearlescent leaf green, no lug lining and no contrast panels (couldn't afford those!) There are a few braze ons being added too, including bottle cage lugs, mudguard eyes and gear lever bosses. Should be back with me about the end of January, I think!
Mercian's ID of the frame seems reasonably positive and is based partly on the frame number font. To be honest, if they ID it as a Mercian and sticker it up as such, that's enough for me! The only other time I've seen front fork lugs identical to mine is on a pic of an early '70s King of Mercia in a Mercian brochure.

It'll be refinished in pearlescent leaf green, no lug lining and no contrast panels (couldn't afford those!) There are a few braze ons being added too, including bottle cage lugs, mudguard eyes and gear lever bosses. Should be back with me about the end of January, I think!
Mercian's ID of the frame seems reasonably positive and is based partly on the frame number font. To be honest, if they ID it as a Mercian and sticker it up as such, that's enough for me! The only other time I've seen front fork lugs identical to mine is on a pic of an early '70s King of Mercia in a Mercian brochure.
I don't think you will get better confirmation that it's a Mercian than from the firm themselves. Congratulations!

Now for the interesting, and often lengthy and expensive, search for period parts! Great fun though.

Back