My personal retro mission ..

Cristian-T

Retro Guru
Hey guys
Just thought I’d tell ya about my long term mission to get as many of my original retro bikes from me yoof!

Nostalgia.. it has absolute power for us all right!? I guess that’s why we’re all here

Anyways, mines pretty personal, and a lot of it is attached to my family home that we lost during the early 90s recession. My Dads roofing business folded, and our family home was repossessed. Age 17 I walked down the garden path gold fish bowl in hand, and I was out on my ear, living at my uncles. Not long after I was working and renting (now age 45 on my 18th address - but happy, married with kids all good!)

Maynard close has never, ever left me though. I even dream about sometimes. We moved in 1982. Me and my Bro, our childhood was amazing, but leaving was just such a sudden end.

So that’s it really. It’s just daft old me, and wanting some memories back!

Like many of you, Mountain bikes took over my life completely. You’ve all heard that before!

So, in order of appearance in my life, as below all the retro bikes I had, rode, and raced (sometimes to death!)

88 Muddy fox Explorer (didn’t actually have BUT was my first dream) - GOT

89 Ridgeback 602lx - GOT - very first bike! Helped dad on a flat roof job for two days to earn it)

91 Muddy fox Alu Pro - GOT

91ish Zinn Z- Centuar - Noooo.. chance !

94 Kona Kilauea - frame on way ...

95 Kona Sex Two - Noooo chance !

96 GT LTS 3 - maybe one day..

97 GT LTS team - as above !

97 Giant ATX - prob not

I’ll stop there! Im more attached to the pre 96 bikes tbh. Retro full sus doesn’t do it for me apart from maybe the LTS.

Update on Kilauea coming soon.. all original spec but with Marzocchi XCR 95’ forks and Suntour XC pro brakes

Cristian

Re:

Welcome!

It’s funny how these bikes get under our skin and bring back such fond memories.
I remember getting my first proper mountain bike, 93 GT Tequesta and just thinking about that bike and all the experiences I had riding it, the great days out, family memories and everything else it lead to is fantastic.

I suppose in a way it’s a way of re living those years and keeping the memories alive.
Don’t let anyone tell you “it’s just a bike”!

Russ

Re: Re:

Freddyman90":2fwdwebf said:
Welcome!

It’s funny how these bikes get under our skin and bring back such fond memories.
I remember getting my first proper mountain bike, 93 GT Tequesta and just thinking about that bike and all the experiences I had riding it, the great days out, family memories and everything else it lead to is fantastic.

I suppose in a way it’s a way of re living those years and keeping the memories alive.
Don’t let anyone tell you “it’s just a bike”!

Russ

So true !

Re:

Your mission is the same as mine, gathering the bikes of my youth. All now acquired, sort of (see signature), but not yet all complete or written about, couple of Giants in the works at the moment.

Also collected a few others that I always fancied owning, a Merlin, a Pace and most recently a Specialized FSR so far, which has distracted me a little! :LOL:

Still need to get my hands on a Klein and a Yeti at some point... :)

Happy hunting!

Back