• Shimano 105 brakes with shimano 600 levers
  • Campag hubs and mavic MA40 rims, 36 spoke
  • Shimano 105 Chainset
  • Shimano Ultegra front derailleur
  • Campagnolo 980 rear derailleur
  • Cinelli stem and handlebars
  • Downtube shifters are Shimano 105 Golden arrow

IMG_1269 by +paul, on Flickr

I sold it in 1993, and the person I sold it to gave it back last week. It has been in a shed for many years and not ridden. The front rim is buckled beyond repair, and the rear has a corrosion hole in it which I am sure is compromising the integrity. The block you can see on the rear wheel is a 14-28 block which I used on my Revell Romany tourer. I did have a tighter ratio block for this bike, but it went with many other parts when I cleared my shed out a few years back. Sadly I sold the Revell Romany frame at the same time.

I am going to finish stripping it, give it a good clean and rebuild it. If it rides as good as I remember, then I will probably get the frame professionally restored. It's not in a bad shape, but the paint has gone in several places.

Re:

Nice to see one of MB's frames - I grew up just over the hill in Sheffield, so they're a local marque for me. Keep the pictures coming!

Re:

Here is the condition from a few days back:

• Stripped and cleaned everything!
  • Obtained a NOS Shimano 105 chainset with a 39 small ring (as opposed to the 42 on the original)
  • NOS rear derailleur fitted - also Shimano 105
  • Rebuilt the rims with some second hand Mavic MA40 rims (as originally used). The original rims were beyond recovery
  • Fitted Dia-Compe rubber hoods

Since this picture was taken, I have clipped the cables and fitted handlebar tape, chain and pedals. I will be restoring the original Miche pedals, but currently I have fitted some clipless pedals compatible with my cycling shoes. Sadly I got rid of my original cycling shoes a few years back when clearing the loft for insulation to be fitted.

I have an 85 mile charity ride next Sunday (for Red Nose Day). I have told everyone that if I raise at least £500, I'll ride this bike!

Nearly ready to roll! by +paul, on Flickr

Looks good! No reason not to ride it for the 85 mile ride. My geared bike is kitted out with a mix of 105 and Exage and I used to commute on that every day before I got bit by the fixed gear bug. It was comfy and bulletproof. I did the London Triathlon on it last year too!

I'm confident I can use the bike, but I am using it as a carrot to get more sponsorship money! I expect to reach the target, so I am already making preparations to ride it, and looking forward to the challenge!

Back