My knees aren't straight!

beavis

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
...apparently. After every ride so far this year ending in tolerable (but irritating) pain, I was badgered into visiting the quacks who came up with this diagnosis. Light exercises and cycling on the flat (low gear, seated/standing mixed) is the the recommended cure in order to build up some new muscles to pull my knee caps straight again. No hills for two months, so guess I won't be making any more rides this side of the BDW3 (can't miss that.. :D )

Anyone experienced similar who can offer any tips to a speedy recovery?

:? :? :?

Do you use clipless pedals? i.e. SPDs? If so, get down to your local roadie type bike shop and ask them to check your cleats are in the correct position. I had similar knee and hip pain and was recommended to get my cleat position checked. So pleased I did.

Good piece of advice Chris.

I always have a mate around when fitting new cleats.

Extend seastpost so that when you're sat on the bike your feet dangle above the pedals. Said mate can then see what angle your feet are to the pedals (they are never straight or the same each side) & adjust the cleats whilst the shoes are still on your feet.

Then have a quick ride around to see if they're comfortable & re-adjust as required :)

my right knee has isues that centre around a mal-tracking kneecap.

basically, if the muscles on one side of your leg are pulling more than the other it can affect the way your kneecap travels up and down as your leg bends & straightens. what happens in my case is that there is friction on both sides of the channel because of the way that the kneecap slides along because it is essentially being pulled at an angle rather than straight causing the irritation.

i found a link hat explains it properly - http://www.physioroom.com/injuries/knee ... g_full.php

your best bet is to find a good independent (i.e. not NHS) physio. rugby clubs, football clubs etc. usually have someone who does outside consultations and have a keen interest in sports injury rather than NHS physio's who tend to be more geared up for getting people back to a set standard of living following operations (hip replacements etc.)

the best case is that if there is already a fair amount of muscle strength around the joint then it should only take a few weeks of targeted exercise to get things back to normal.

That's exactly the problem i have but i'm terrible at remembering to do my exercises :roll:

i totally agree get yourself and bike measured, checked and position of cleats . my physio reckons that he's seen more problems caused by ill fitted kit than anything else, funny statement from him as he's blind and cycles a tandem!!!

Had this problem a few years ago.
Went from Shimano SPD's to Time ATAC (more float) but it didn't make any difference.
Went back to flats and had no problems since.

Sounds like a fairly common problem then. It's just like Jax said so hopefully will be able to rectify without the need for physio.

I don't use clipless btw, never have done. Mentioned it to the doc and he said by all means try it but only when things are back to normal. He also said he sees a lot of road riders with knee problems and the first thing he recommends is to lose the clipless pedals as an experiment.

thanks for the replies :)

i would ty an find a sports physio and go for one session if only to get the'proper' exercises for the muscles that need it.

if you work the wrong groups it will actually make it worse....... ask me how i know! ;)

knee

sounds familiar! i had the same prob a couple of years back. if corrected early enough a full recovery is had( see a physio via your gp). it is activity outside human design that causes it apparently. driving, sitting cross-legged, certain sporting activities and so-on. muscles on the outside of the thigh within the quad muscle group will end up dominating another part causing the patella to draw either left or right, causing a clicking sound and often a ache.

the sooner you sort it the better. ;)

Back