My Cove Stiffee FR

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
I dont know if this is a let down, given the bikes purported original use, but its maybe steeped in my need for a bike to be of quality, and wear the 'mountain bike' badge along with the ability to live up to that name, to be up to the challenge, whatever that challenge need be, should it ever leave shopping duties and go back to riding gnar.
XL Cove stiffee FR - 2003(not sure)
RS Revelation 150mm fork2006(not sure) RS Stealth axle
Hope pro2 wheelset in gold on DT Swiss XR400 rims
Hope 70mm 0deg XC stem in gold
Hope 180/160 floating rotors in gold
Hope 31.8mm seat clamp in gold
Hope F20 pedals in gold
Shimano saint bb(it was gold :p)
Hope mono mini brakes(custom 'Andy' lever covers- yup, my name is Andy)
I have new gold levers and gold lever covers for the brakes, but i didnt want to to look to ostentatious( :LOL: )
Raceface bars 700mm
Raceface dh post-26.8mm
SDG Bel-air saddle
Shimano XT m750 9spd mechs and shifters
Sram X9 2spd cranks

All in all the bike and build has done well. The forks can handle anything i inadvertently ride into, the frame is indeed stiff, the brakes are powerful,despite their age and the 2x9 gearing is more than adequate.
Its a shame 26.8mm post means i cant fit a dropper, though for the riding i do on it, not sure that would help me any, and I dont think the frame was ever designed for a rack, but its got holes in the dropouts are just the right place to get a couple of bolts through and while not ideal have served their purpose.

All in all a nice bike to ride. It fits me well, is comfortable even on extended trips, and is nice i think to look at.
Set up currently with panniers, as its mainly used for commuting about and shopping trips.

Attachments

• DSCF4022.JPG
    DSCF4022.JPG
    640.5 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
That looks nice, I like Cove bikes, that’s itching to be pointed down a trail and not touch the brakes.
Must be the earlier ones with that size seat tube, mine took a 27.2 post but I think was 2006/8 or something.

Always liked a Cove. Used 26" Stiffees and Handjobs are really good value now

Great bikes.

I had number 5* of the special editions and sold it for a plane ticket to Australia to see my girlfriend while I was at university.

Always regretted selling and thought I’d buy another. Other brands copied their geometry eventually and offered cheap alternatives.

What happened to Cove Bikes?

My mate has a Stiffee 69er.. He has hardly used it. I would deffo consider adding it to my collection should he ever sell it.. I had the opportunity to buy one at the time new but already had mine, all XTR drivetrain and Fox forked & tricked out so brought a Santa cruz super light (or Blur Lt) instead.. Also bikes I wish I had kept!

Great bikes.

I had number 5* of the special editions and sold it for a plane ticket to Australia to see my girlfriend while I was at university.

Always regretted selling and thought I’d buy another. Other brands copied their geometry eventually and offered cheap alternatives.

What happened to Cove Bikes?
if you get a sec it would be ace to see pics of yours pal

I had a G-spot so have a soft spot for Coves. I loved the frame but hated that they threaded the linkage bolts directly into aluminum. For a bike that was meant to be hucked, it was a clear weak spot - I was great with Helicoils by the time I sold it.

When was the Cove Handjob first available and where can I find more information on said frame? I cannot find any catalogs... Mahalo!

Back