My bike has eaten itself

SpinThoseLegs89

Dirt Disciple
So for the past few weeks in the cold weather, my vitus had been slipping, thought okay it will last through the winter
Fast forward to Saturday just gone, went to leave work and just would not select 8th, next morning found this :-(
My question, has anyone ever seen ot to this extent

Attachments

• 20211205_114226.jpg
    20211205_114226.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 100
Blimey! No….never seen multiple teeth ripped out like this. Perhaps bent at some time, setting up micro-fractures which over time have developed into big cracks? Like metal fatigue in aircraft components.

Potentially could have been from the previous owner, but he literally just replaced when I bought the bike eight months ago

Judging by the wear on the teeth of the adjacent cogs, it's well past its use by state and consequently, only one tooth has been taking the load. Worn cogs and stretched chain will give you, what you have.

Nice, looks like it's time for a new chain, cassette & rings up front.. Might want to take a look at the jockey wheels while you're at it. Chain length checker might be a good idea going forward as well.

Did that to one bitd. I don't remember what it was , possibly a Suntour screw on job

Nice, looks like it's time for a new chain, cassette & rings up front.. Might want to take a look at the jockey wheels while you're at it. Chain length checker might be a good idea going forward as well.
Chain rings are fine as well as the jockey wheels but will get a new chain and cassette

Back