My 1995 DBR Axis TT Pro Build

kjarrett

Retro Guru
Recently completed this build, thought I'd share...

Some time ago I came into possession of a '95 DBR WCF Vertex for like $160 I think. Was complete and just needed a fork rebuild and tune up basically so I did those and started enjoying it. Then one day I decided to search evilbay for a DBR Titanium frame and - what are the odds - a guy had one for sale in my size! Struck a deal, got it, moved everything over and sold the WCF frame. I'm thrilled to DEATH with this thing! It's basically an on-spec 1995 Axis TT (not a Pro) other than the fork is one step lower and some other things, I forget. Anyway, it's AMAZING. I've never owned a Titanium bike and it's just so much fun to ride. Crazy responsive. And I love the looks of it. Build went smoothly, no surprises. Fitted an Avocet Air O2 Ti saddle, that's about it as far as upgrades. The drivetrain is LX/XT (sold the OEM-spec'd Grip Shift, hate those). Wheels are Mavic 230 SBP. Just over 25 pounds as it's on the trail. Have a fresh set of RetroDecals I'm waiting to install, maybe next year, or to sell with the frame one day when I'm ready to move on. But not for a while!

-kj-

Attachments

• AxisTTPro.jpg
    AxisTTPro.jpg
    289.3 KB · Views: 90
Great looking bike kjarret, I like the back story as well. The tan-wall Smoke/Dart are a looking great choice, I just picked up a set for my 87' Ritchey rebuild (almost done) and can't wait to try them. Always liked the way they rode back in the day. Maybe I'll have keep an eye out for a titanium bike. I've never even ridden one but always been curious. I definitely drooled over titanium bikes ever since they were introduced.

Great looking bike kjarret, I like the back story as well. The tan-wall Smoke/Dart are a looking great choice, I just picked up a set for my 87' Ritchey rebuild (almost done) and can't wait to try them. Always liked the way they rode back in the day. Maybe I'll have keep an eye out for a titanium bike. I've never even ridden one but always been curious. I definitely drooled over titanium bikes ever since they were introduced.
Thanks! You will love the Smoke/Dart, they are fantastic and haven't changed since the 90s. Won't use anything else!

Good luck with your Ritchey build.

If you get a chance to ride a Ti bike in your size, do it, but be forewarned, you're likely to want one afterwards. :) I was told it would be unlike anything I'd ever ridden and that is absolutely the case.

Back